Javelin Forestay Question

Jul 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Webster Lake
So I just bought an O'Day Javelin.

The one I sailed in the past had the standard 3 stays and then the jib clipped on to the forestay.

On this one it has the clips on the jib but also a cable up the jib and a harken roller furling system, so the forestay is essentially just the cable in the jib which travels up to to furling swivel at the top. This swivel then clips to a wire which runs through a pulley and then turns into rope which you cleat off half way down the mast. So it's missing the traditional forestay.

Will this be OK?

The shroud's aren't particularly taught, is there any guidance on how tight they should be?

There's also there's no boom vang? There's no fixture's on the boom where one could do so I presume it never had one.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Bandit 15 I had was a similar set up. The jib wire was the forestay and there was a furl-er. There was a wire "Halyard" that continued over a sheave and internally down the mast where it terminated with a eye of the wire on a stud. There was also a tail on the wire so one could drop the mast without losing the "Halyard" in the mast. The boat had swept back spreaders and no backstay and it was a fractional rig - although I didn't even know what that was in 1981. In any event the boat was a hoot to sail and had a spinnaker with a spinnaker tube from which the spinnaker was launched from. And a douse line that brought the spinnaker back into the tube. That boat taught me to sail. And also fiberglass work (Hurricane Bob), topside painting, mast and boom reeving and many other skills.
You can always add a boom vang. But it will likely make crossing the boat for tacks more difficult. A trade off.
Don't worry about your Javelin jib/halyard thing.