Jammed In-Mast Furling

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
I've heard it said that if a boat has in-mast furling (IMF), then she will either have had the IMF jam, or she will have it jam. After three seasons with no problem, the IMF jammed.

I went sailing a few days ago, the first sail of the season. The winds were 10 to 15 kts from the west. After a couple of hours, I thought it a good idea to head back to the slip; I wanted to still be feeling good if anything went wrong on the first sail of the season.

Turned into the wind with the motor in idle forward. I furled the genoa with no issue. Grabbed the main inhaul (by hand) and pulled. Nothing. I tried that a few times with same result. Then I noticed the fabric loop at the tack which should be over a metal hook attached to the lower furling unit was not on the hook. I had been messing with the main halyard tension, so the loop must have slipped off while doing that. Went forward and reattached.

After several times of pull inhaul, pull outhaul, the sail furled! About halfway then stuck again. I unfurled the main completely. Then alternated pull inhaul, pull outhaul. After the 5th, or 6th, time the main furled with no issue.

Only thing I can figure is with the tack free the main must have gotten a few big wrinkles which jammed inside the mast.

What I learned: If the main inhaul or outhaul will not work under hand power, stop and determine the problem. Figure out how to secure the fabric loop to the hook so it won't fall off when the main halyard is eased.

I still like IMF.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’ve never had a jam when furling, but I have had a couple unfurling, when not paying attention to technique. Stopping and reversing is definitely better than trying to power through it - that only makes the wraps tighter.

My tack webbing goes through a D-shackle on the lower mechanism. It makes it a little harder to remove the sail, because you need to unscrew the shackle without dropping the pin down the mast. But it does avoid the problem you described.