Jaguar's

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Mainsail:

.... and then there was the time I needed to remove and replace by myself, and without a proper jack, the 125 lb rear-end differential from underneath my much loved, but problematical Jaguar XJ6. A 2"x12"x12' board, some cinder blocks and the principal of the lever got me by.
...so I can relate. If anyone thinks boat mechanics are tough they can wrestle with our 1989 V12 Jag for a while! Light duty this weekend. Just an inspection sticker and a new bulb in one of the back up lights. Have to pull the door panel soon to replace a balky window motor...fix the leaky windshield (it is new and the shop has worked on it twice and is unable to fix the leak)...fix the broken AC...never mind that it needs new rear brakes. Now that is a task to lose some sleep over. Was that what you were doing with the differential?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Re: Worked on the XJS this weekend...

Jags... I have to pull my radiator out of my '74 XJ6 soon... not a job I am looking forward to! Especially after pulling and replacing five house batteries and changing the anti-freeze on my boat two days ago. My back still hurts.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Re: Worked on the XJS this weekend...

Bob M:

My XJ6 was also a 1989. I've sometimes thought that maybe the reason I bought a boat to work on is because I missed the challenge of keeping my Jaguar up to snuff. Actually we owned two at one point. My wife had a 1992 XJ6. Hardly spent anything on my wife's car other than routine maintenance. We bought both of them "pre owned", well down on the depreciation curve. We drove them both for almost ten years. Being in them was a wonderful feeling.

No, it wasn't the brakes. One day on the highway, I started to hear a grinding/whining noise from the rear end which just got worse with time. First thought it was a rear wheel bearing. But no. Apparently the ZF4 (from memory) differential on these cars was problematical. Some people thought it was because Jaguar did not specify that the differential fluid be drained/refilled -- ever. I bought a remanufactured differential. After the installation, all back to normal.

How have you done with the dead light bulb warning system on the instrument panel (if that was a feature of the V12)? If all your bulbs are good, but the warning light is on, let me know. I managed to fix mine at a cost of $0 and a low wattage soldering iron. The electrical system on these end 80's Jaguars was ahead of its time. Designed and made by Lucas -- and affectionately known as the Darth Vader system because of its evil way on not working.