Install The Engine.....Alone...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
So, I'm kind of stubborn and self sufficient, and prefer to be able to do things myself. I had never considered removing or re-installing my engine solo until my fuel tank fiasco. I have pulled engines before but always just taken it as a two plus person job. Tim R. showed up to help me get it out, but then went on a sailing vacation and left me home in Maine stuck working on my boat while he was off sailing....:doh::D

One day while driving down the road it dawned on me that I could easily do this myself. All I needed was one more block and tackle rig.

To get my engine from the galley, up over the lip for the engine compartment, and onto the stringers, all I used was one 4X4 across the companion way, my main sheet, an old boom vang and one of the lifting block & tackles for my dinghy davits. I also used glycerin to lube the motor mounts so they slid on the engine bed stringers easily. Once the engine was in place I alternately lifed the front and back of the motor and washed the glycerin off the mounts..

All in all it took me about 25 minutes from start to finish with the most time consuming thing being the rigging of the block & tackle that pulled the motor backwards into the engine bay. I kept running out of length and finally had to bite the bullet, crawl on my back upside down, and tie the line around the rudder post. This was about a three on the difficulty scale once I thought everything through and had a plan in place. Went in like warm butter on toast. This makes future engine repairs MUCH easier!!!

Installing The Engine - Video (LINK)

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Re: Re-Install The Engine.....Alone...

Nice job. Just for the record I would have much rather been working on your engine then sailing the Grenadines. My father in law drove me nuts.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Re: Re-Install The Engine.....Alone...

Clever! very nice example of thinking through a problem!
When it's my turn Tim can do my engine and I'll go sailing with the in-laws for him. Uncovered Escape today, only 42 days to launch!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Noticed in your video, not a single cuss word!

Maine, I know what you mean. I spent the day packing my wheel bearings while Novelman went to his daughter's wedding. In spite of the fact his tux is black, he still wouldn't help out.

Last edited:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Noticed in your video, not a single cuss word!

When I must move my engine such as to remove the prop. I lay a 4x4 across the companionway and use a come along to lift the engine. But I only need a few inches. More than that requires more creative effort.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I woulda grabbed that engine like a 6 pack of beer and slung it in there.
Why did you have your engine out?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Your sailing ancestors would be proud...except for the fact that you have an engine in the first place perhaps LOL. Nice job! My boat would be a piece of cake compared to that. Remove the engine shroud and just up up and away. I do feel bad for Garylinger though. He is repowering the center cockpit version of the S2 9.2...much more difficult for sure. He has the old engine out last I heard. I hope your video provides some inspiration...otherwise we may have to confiscate his belt and shoelaces after he sees you making it look like a walk in the park!

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Very well done, Maine- installing the engine AND filming the procedure alone, AND no cursing!!
Amazing

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Clever! very nice example of thinking through a problem!
When it's my turn Tim can do my engine and I'll go sailing with the in-laws for him. Uncovered Escape today, only 42 days to launch!
Be careful what you wish for Chuck:eek:

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
I've done lots of industrial rigging, moving machines around refineries. Tackle and ramps always top man power for safety and not breaking things.

A wise old rigger told me "if it doesn't look easy, you're doing it wrong."

Very nice work. My boat has outboards, but they are in wells in the center cockpit and similar dancing is required.http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2009/11/removing-and-replacing-engines-in-pdq.html. And there are 2 of them, so you let yourself can't get tired out by the first one!

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
Very nice Mainsail,
I have a tendency to do most things myself. It's great to have friends we can call when we need a hand but there's also the challenge of figuring it out .

mrBee

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
not sure, but i think i saw a speck of dirt under that engine. you'll need to take it back out and clean it better!

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Mainsail:

Thanks the post about the engine install. Gives us solo DIYer's encouragement that where there's a will and a brain, there's a way.

Several years ago I used a simpler version of the same concept to install a 5' x 8' picture double pane window at my house weighing about 200 lbs. The three home depot guys delivered the window to my back deck about 6' directly below the opening in the wall it needed to go. Then finding myself alone, I screwed a couple eye-hooks into the roof's overhang rafter joists. One hook for each side of the window. Then I rigged block and tackle between the hooks and the window. Like you did with the engine, I alternately hoisted each side up a couple of inches until the window was at the right level. Then I just pushed the window bottom into place. The operation itself only took a few minutes and an elevated heart rate. Thinking about and setting it all up -- much more time.

.... and then there was the time I needed to remove and replace by myself, and without a proper jack, the 125 lb rear-end differential from underneath my much loved, but problematical Jaguar XJ6. A 2"x12"x12' board, some cinder blocks and the principal of the lever got me by.