Jade

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There are plenty of threads on this, so do a search. I find the best overall approach to be reflective mylar "flash tape" streamers (can be hoisted on a line) and hanging CDs also work. Any type of closely spaced spikes (or tie-wraps with ends sticking up) also work, and so does heavy monofiliment fishing line stretched taught about 2-3" above the spreaders.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just how might one go about deterring birds from their boat. A very good question. Exploring ones options....

Bird control strategies
There are many bird control strategies: visual (streamers, balloons, lights, fake hawks); physical (nets), and acoustical deterrents (electronic sound devices, pyrotechnic pistols). Experts agree a combination of methods is required.

Wine growers use "Bird Bangers". Propane powered cannons. Just think of the fun. Light one of these bad babies up and all the birds in the marina would take flight. Think of the public service you would be doing for all of the boat owners, and as a bonus they are prompted by
Ontario
Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs

Blasting the Banger might create a stir among the residents who prefer the quiet pease and tranquility of a life by the water shore. That would likely eliminate another great deterrent. The 12 gauge shotgun. How do I know they work, cause every time I went goose hunting the buggers would take off and fly high, there was no chance to bring home the "Fatted Goose" for Christmas dinner. But I am fairly sure If you did hit a couple of those pesky birds and left their bodies about on the docks the relatives would stay away... Unless they remember the movie "The Birds" and come back in mass. Then all bets are off and it is everyone for themselves.

Electronic Bird Control
Now we are talking. Control through modern science.
Bird Gard units are designed to effectively and permanently remove birds from your environment. A built-in microprocessor in the electronic bird control units continually randomizes the order the sounds play and the relative pitch of each bird sound to give the impression many birds are in distress in the protected area. This random technology prevents birds from becoming habituated and keeps birds out of your grapes all the way through harvest.

This is like using the Ride of the Valkyries in the helicopter approach to the beach in Apocalypse Now. Physops for birds.

These are just a couple of ideas that a limited few have tried but might work, based on thoughts from my caffeinated creative brain this morning.

What ideas can you suggest?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looking at the way that bird has a grip on the light, sure hope it is made of steel and glass. Plastic would be toast. And sitting there it looks well above any 12" spike... I'd be worried he would take the light fixture when it flew off.

Attachments

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
The bird won’t land if there is a spike sticking upward regardless of the size of the poultry. If it did, it would be ready for the bbq rotisserie.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Get a robotic eagle.... stick it on your anchor light. That should work...:biggrin:
1575333030796.png