Jacksonville to Tybee Island/Savannah

Jul 4, 2013
S2 9.2C Savannah
I'm buying a boat just south of Jacksonville that's in a slip at the Green Cove Springs Marina. Planning to sail it up to Tybee Island or Savannah at the end of the month, which is where I'll be keeping it. Anybody done this trip and have any advice for a new sailboat owner doing this trip for the first time? It's a 30 foot S2 9.2C. I'm thinking it should take about 2.5 to 3 days, and I'd like to anchor instead of paying dock fees, but any advice on good marinas along the way would also be appreciated.

cmac

Sep 29, 2011
I'm buying a boat just south of Jacksonville that's in a slip at the Green Cove Springs Marina. Planning to sail it up to Tybee Island or Savannah at the end of the month, which is where I'll be keeping it. Anybody done this trip and have any advice for a new sailboat owner doing this trip for the first time? It's a 30 foot S2 9.2C. I'm thinking it should take about 2.5 to 3 days, and I'd like to anchor instead of paying dock fees, but any advice on good marinas along the way would also be appreciated.
With a SE wind at 8-12, I motor sailed from St. Augustine to Brunswick in 12 hours on the outside. Great sail and nice to be outside instead of dodging boats on the narrow ICW. Active Captain will help you identify anchorages up and down the ICW if you choose to travel inside.

One area that causes problems, even with a catamaran less than 4ft draft, is the ICW at Jekyll Island. Make sure you hit that at near high tide. I've also had difficulty coming in through St. Andrews sound just north of Cumberland Island. The folks at Golden Isles marina at St. Simon's Island are very helpful and there is an anchorage just south of the marina.

Enjoy the trip,

Curt

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Agree with cmac on both parts of his post.

In addition, when on the ICW off Jekyll Island be sure to follow your depthsounder and eyeballs. When the depth is seriously decreasing, at slow boat speed do use your depth sounder to 'find' the deepest water. My technique there is to continually steer a soft "S" shaped course and favor the side of "S" thats showing deeper water on the depth sounder. If necessary, stop and back up if necessary to find the deepest part.
A nearly full and still rising tide is the best time to travel there ... plan your timing accordingly.

The worst thing to do there is to 'follow the magenta line' on your chartplotter.

:)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... Anybody done this trip and have any advice for a new sailboat owner doing this trip for the first time? ....
Are you new to owning or new to sailing?

I would worry about any new sailor going on a longer coastal cruise as their first cruising experience. Sailboats have an entirely different set of "issues" than do power boats and learning to deal with and anticipate those issues takes some time on the boat just messing about. If you are new to sailing as well as owning, I'd place a call out for an experienced sailor to make the trip with you. It shouldn't be to hard to find someone willing to take a free ride on a nice boat.

Jul 4, 2013
S2 9.2C Savannah
Nah, not new to sailing. Got my basic keelboat about 7 years ago, and finished everything through bareboat charter with a week-long liveaboard course about a year ago. Not a ton of time on the water, but enough to keep myself out of trouble on a coastal cruise, provided I'm smart about watching the weather forecasts. :)

Thanks for the advice, guys.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Just watch

If time permits, watch for the " perfect " weather window, and go outside. Will be much quicker and probably easier. But the inside has some pretty nice areas to visit. I like Skipper Bobs for a guide, and I wouldn' t even think about making that trip inside, without a good waterway guide.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Cruisersnet.net has great info...I am at Golden Isles Marina behind St Simons Island...PM me if I can get info for you or if u hit the area and need some wheels or whatever.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2013
S2 9.2C Savannah
You guys are great! Thanks.

I am hoping to make the journey outside rather than taking the ICW. I have a friend who will be helping me sail it up, though, and he'll be on a bit of a tighter schedule than me, so I may have to move inside if the weather doesn't permit a trip up the coast. I bought the Dozier's guides and a chart book, plus I'm referencing activecaptain.com, so hopefully I'll be armed with plenty of information. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Jul 4, 2013
S2 9.2C Savannah
Docked at Fernandina Harbor Marina as we speak! Today was the first day starting in Green Cove Springs, planning on going offshore tomorrow and anchoring in the Duplin River tomorrow evening. If the weather holds up, then we'll get into Savannah at the Hinckley Marina early Friday evening. I'll post pics after the trip.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
How are you getting to shore when anchoring?

Looking forward to pictures :)

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I will tie into this thread, although the topic is somewhat new. I am hoping to begin to work my way north from Brunswick Landing Marina. I would like for my first trip to be to Tybee Island. I would like to get some ideas on the itinerary, What I am asking is how would you do it. What routes would they choose. When would they go inside or outside. it looks like the waterway is very tortuous in this area.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
I will tie into this thread, although the topic is somewhat new. I am hoping to begin to work my way north from Brunswick Landing Marina. I would like for my first trip to be to Tybee Island. I would like to get some ideas on the itinerary, What I am asking is how would you do it. What routes would they choose. When would they go inside or outside. it looks like the waterway is very tortuous in this area.
Hey Keith. I have gone past Tybee both ways, inside and out, and if conditions are good outside is much faster. The ICW is twisty thru there but very doable. And the scenery ain't bad.