Jack Stands

Oct 22, 2007
Catalina 310 Keuka Lake NY
I need to purchase jack stands for winter storage on the hard, Does anyone know what size I will need. our 310 has a wing keel.

Thanks Ted Pinelli

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Here is what I ordered, but the yard couldn't use the keel stand and used blocks instead.

SAIL BOAT STANDS

Length: 25' - 34.5'

Beam: 132" - 240"

Draft: 42" - 53"

Displacement: 10001 lbs. - 20001 lbs.

Parts List

6 X SBS-2

SM Sailboat Stand SBS-2 - 48"-65"/122cm-165cm range

1 X SBS-2V

SM Sailboat Stand - V-Top SBS-2V - 48"-65"/122cm-165cm range

2 X K-4

SM Keel Stand K-4 (16"-24"/40cm-61cm range)

3 X CHAIN12

SM Hot Dip Safety Chain - 3/16" x 12' (.9cm x 365cm)

I got them from here:

http://www.scaffoldmart.com/

If you can get a bunch of people to order at the same time you can get a discount on bulk shipping.

Oct 22, 2007
Catalina 310 Keuka Lake NY
I guess I forgot to ask if you have a standard keel or a wing keel. This may make a difference

Thanks Ted Pinelli

Aug 23, 2020
Catalina 310 323 Mamaroneck
I now find myself in the same situation: in need of jackstands for the Catalina 310 I just bought. @SawyerCurt - Defender has a tool to automatically tell you which jackstands to buy based on size of boat, and it tells me to get Brownell SB-1's which have a range from 64" to 79". If the Brownell's and the ScaffoldMart's are measured from the same place (the ground, I would expect), then they over lap by just 1 inch (your post says they range from 48" to 65"). This worries me, as I don't want to get the wrong size. Have you measured yours and do they really only go up to 65"?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I need to purchase jack stands for winter storage on the hard, Does anyone know what size I will need. our 310 has a wing keel.

Thanks Ted Pinelli
Are you having the boat hauled to your home? If so, many haulers have a stand truck. Often you can rent or buy them from the hauler. slightly used stands are often a great deal...

Aug 23, 2020
No, I've joined a yacht club where the members do all their own work - on their own boats and also on the club (saves LOTS of money), and they require each member to have his/her own jackstands. I like the idea of (sturdy!) used jackstands - is there a marketplace for those? But I still need to know what size to get. I actually called Catalina today and they suggested that I ask the yacht club!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
No, I've joined a yacht club where the members do all their own work - on their own boats and also on the club (saves LOTS of money), and they require each member to have his/her own jackstands. I like the idea of (sturdy!) used jackstands - is there a marketplace for those? But I still need to know what size to get. I actually called Catalina today and they suggested that I ask the yacht club!
There ABSOLUTELY is a market for used stands. TIP: if you get stands too tall... just block up to the keel, if you get stands that a wee too tall, you can cut the necks back with a saws all or grinding wheel.

Good used stands up here run about $100 ea with the possibility of $600. for 7 stands...

Dec 16, 2011
I now find myself in the same situation: in need of jackstands for the Catalina 310 I just bought. @SawyerCurt - Defender has a tool to automatically tell you which jackstands to buy based on size of boat, and it tells me to get Brownell SB-1's which have a range from 64" to 79". If the Brownell's and the ScaffoldMart's are measured from the same place (the ground, I would expect), then they over lap by just 1 inch (your post says they range from 48" to 65"). This worries me, as I don't want to get the wrong size. Have you measured yours and do they really only go up to 65"?
The quick answer is that I've never measured them, but when my boat is on the stands the heads are neither screwed all the way tight against the stands, nor are they screwed so far out that I've got less than an inch remaining. So I can easily adjust 1+ inches up or down on every stand. So I don't think an inch difference is going to make a difference. And that is with my wing keel probably 6-12 inches (I'm guessing) off the ground. The boat is low enough that I can use the swim ladder (when left down) to board the boat without an additional step-stool or ladder.

Also, I didn't need/use the keel stands. You can see them on the ground behind the boat. They are just sitting in my garage.

Jacqueline on Stands 2.jpg

The longer answer (in case people haven't read my older post)...As I mentioned in the prior post, back in 2014 multiple members of our club ordered stands at the same time from ScaffoldMart in North Carolina, so we got a break on shipping as they sent them all up to us in one truck. This is what they recommended for my wing-keel C310, and is indeed what I purchased:

Length: 25' - 34.5' Beam: 132" - 240" Draft: 42" - 53" Displacement: 10001 lbs. - 20001 lbs.
Parts List
6 X SBS-2 SM Sailboat Stand SBS-2 - 48"-65"/122cm-165cm range
1 X SBS-2V SM Sailboat Stand - V-Top SBS-2V - 48"-65"/122cm-165cm range
2 X K-4 SM Keel Stand K-4 (16"-24"/40cm-61cm range)
3 X CHAIN12 SM Hot Dip Safety Chain - 3/16" x 12' (.9cm x 365cm)

Now, it turned out that my harbor guys didn't like the keel stands as they felt it put the boat too high in the air with respect to the other stands or it was because I wanted to be able to board from the swim ladder (it has been 6 years so I don't remember exactly why). Regardless, I've never used the keel stands as the harbor uses large wood blocks instead. So the keel stands were a wasted purchase for me and they are sitting in my garage. So depending on how your harbor blocks the keel, you may not need the keel stands. The other items have worked perfectly for me and I'm still using them today. I haven't even had to replace the wooden heads yet, but I also keep them in my garage during the summer. The stands sit out in the harbor yard during the season.

As always, your mileage may vary. But this is what worked for me.

Dec 16, 2011
Defender has a tool to automatically tell you which jackstands to buy based on size of boat, and it tells me to get Brownell SB-1's which have a range from 64" to 79". If the Brownell's and the ScaffoldMart's are measured from the same place (the ground, I would expect), then they over lap by just 1 inch (your post says they range from 48" to 65").
I re-read your post and now I see what you are asking. My prior post didn't really address your actual question.

I assume the difference is wing vs fin keel. I have a wing, and the ScaffoldMart stands are fine. If you have a fin instead, then you probably need the bigger ones that Defender is telling you to get. My guess is the difference is wing vs fin.

Aug 23, 2020
Ya, that's probably the difference. I also have a wing keel (their tool doesn't ask for type of keel but does ask for the draft), so your height poppets will clearly work for me. Thanks for the info and especially the picture.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
MAKE SURE that the hauler KNOWS that the keel is winged... I've witnessed what that lack of knowledge can do....

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
A lot depends on how your boat is hauled. If a Travel Lift is used, the boat can be set down on 12" blocks under the keel, and you don't need the tallest stands. If a Brownell trailer is used, the keel of your boat must sit on top of the trailer, because of your wing keel, so you need at least 24" or so of blocks under your keel, and the tallest stands are needed. My club uses the Brownell trailer, and I now have a nice set of Brownell galvanized stands for my wing keeled C310. I used to have a smaller set of painted steel stands I bought used from a local salvage yard, but they sat too far under the hull, and the salt water covering the stands at extra high tides ate away the steel.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Not to hyjack the thread, but the positioning of the aft stands has been an issue for me.
The yard monkeys tend to put the rear stands too far under the hull which causes the fiber glass to buckle in.
has anyone else had this issue?

Dec 16, 2011
The yard monkeys tend to put the rear stands too far under the hull which causes the fiber glass to buckle in.
I have not had that problem...our yard guys are quite good. Of course, I'm an Atlantic Highlands Harbor Commissioner, so I might be a little biased. ;-)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not to hyjack the thread, but the positioning of the aft stands has been an issue for me.
:plus:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yes. I occasionally had oil canning of the hull, usually when the aft stands were placed too far forward. After checking the C310 manual, I realized there is a strongpoint near the stern that will support the stands without oil canning. If I remember correctly, the strongpoint is located about 1' forward of the stern cleats. Actually, the location for all the stands is shown in the manual. The mid point and forward stands are easy to place, since they go under the sling indicators.
Fortunately, I had no permanent damage from the oil canning of the hull. As a side issue, the stands should not be under the hull too far. The keel supports the weight, and the stands keep the boat from tipping. With the stands higher up on the side of the hull, and a chain between the pairs of stands, the boat will be secure.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Yes. I occasionally had oil canning of the hull, usually when the aft stands were placed too far forward. After checking the C310 manual, I realized there is a strongpoint near the stern that will support the stands without oil canning. If I remember correctly, the strongpoint is located about 1' forward of the stern cleats. Actually, the location for all the stands is shown in the manual. The mid point and forward stands are easy to place, since they go under the sling indicators.
Fortunately, I had no permanent damage from the oil canning of the hull. As a side issue, the stands should not be under the hull too far. The keel supports the weight, and the stands keep the boat from tipping. With the stands higher up on the side of the hull, and a chain between the pairs of stands, the boat will be secure.
Tom, which manual has the diagram showing jack stand locations? I just looked through the ones I've got and there's nothing in them.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom, which manual has the diagram showing jack stand locations? I just looked through the ones I've got and there's nothing in them.
Apparently, the manual I saw is not supplied by Catalina.:( I just checked the digital manual I downloaded from s/v smitty, and there is nothing there about the location of jack stands. The diagram I saw was included in a loose leaf binder that came with the boat, so it might have been dealer supplied. Unfortunately, I am a long ways away from my boat and the binder, so I can't send you a picture. I think if you check the interior layout in the aft cabin area, you might be able to see where the bulkhead would help support the jack stands.