jack lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
Do any of you use a jack line on your boat? If so how have you hooked it up? We have thought about this for a few years, but have not done anything about it yet.

Dale

Poble

Dec 16, 2009
Catalina 36 Prince Rupert
Hi Dale,

We used jack lines when we brought our boat up the west coast. They are nylon straps and run from the cleat at the bow to the two cleats at the aft end of the boat, port and starboard. The lines run along the outer walkway at the cabin base, inside the mast shrouds. We clipped onto the jackline with our harness and had full access to the foredeck.

We used the jack lines when we were alone on deck, or any time at night.

Paul

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
We use them any time we're sailing outside our protective islands, sailing solo or at night.

Sep 21, 2005
Danny,

How do you have yours set up? What have you made yours from? Thanks

Dale

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Dale: My son has single handed his C-22 plenty in the Florida Keys, and also on the Chesapeake Bay and around the DelMarVa Peninsula. He clips onto his jackline whenever he sails alone, or when he sails with my young nephew, who we don't think could handle the boat alone. We use the autopilots on our C-22s quite a bit, and know that if you ever fell off of the boat it would go on without you until it ran out of water or battery, which could be a very long time.

I don't have a great photo to show you. He put a stainless steel "U" bolt near the entrance to the companionway, off to the side, so that we don't stub our toes on it so much. One end of the jackline is looped around the mast, and the other end is tied to the "U" bolt. Then he clips onto the jackline with his harness. He can go to the bow and to the stern when clipped on, without ever unclipping.

I attached a few photos that may help a little. I think that I am going to recommend that he go to a little stronger webbing for his jackline after looking at the photos. It looks like he used a piece of 1 inch webbing from one of the little winches that we use to strap our boats to the trailer. I think I'll recommend a little stronger 1 inch webbing to him.

I hope that this helps you, Aldo

Attachments

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Paphman, We bought inflatable life jackets with the built in harness. You then buy a lanyard that come in different sizes. The most common are 3 foot and 6 foot. Always buy the lanyards that have the quick release fitting where you do not have to unlatch a fitting to release it. You simply pull the line and it releases. Then you can mount eyebolts or other attachment points in the cockpit or mast base to hook your lanyard to.
We found this the best bet on our C22 due to the crowded nature of the boat because of the smaller deck size.
When we sailed our IP38 we always used jacklines.
Additionally on the C22 I had led all lines to the cockpit and found it unnessary to go forward. By that I mean downhauls, reefing lines and everything else. Not just halyards and the easy items like most boats that say the lines are lead back.
Unless you are at sea crossing from Miami to the islands or something like that I wouldn't think that a C22 would benefit from jacklines. I think well located eyebolts and 6 foot lanyards will cover all of a C22.
I wish more sailors would use vests and lanyards or jacklines. It's real hard to fish a vest out of a locker from 50 in back of your boat as it sails away.
Ray

Sep 21, 2005
Ray and Aldo

Thanks for the great imput. Over the last six seasons we have made a great deal of upgrades to the boat. We have ALL of the lines coming to the cockpit, through clutches. I would recommend this to all sailors. We have also installed a jib down haul last season and that has worked out great. The only time we leave the cockpit is to make a headsail change. Other than that we are always in the cockpit. We have two reef points on the main and doubleline reefing, and that to is lead to the cockpit. That too has made a huge difference. We can put a reef in in less than 30 seconds. But the times that we do go forward, we would like to make as safe as we can. The use of a jack line seemed to be the answer. I have not seen a set up on a C-22 in person before, so we were flying by the seat of our pants. Thanks for the info, and we are going to put it to good use.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.