Jabsco (Twist N Lock) - Head Use for novice

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
First post from a new member - be kind.

I have purchased a Cal 27 and for the first time and have a plumbed manual head to deal with. There is a seacock below the head and a holding tank with deck pump out setup. There is a secured Y-valve to a 1.5" seacock (closed) for overboard discharge (illegal in Puget Sound).

The "twist n lock" feature has me confused. The manual is not clear to me at least. The 'tee' handle does not seem to "Lock" - is it supposed to?

The process I have used so far (a few times over 30 days of ownership) is:
  • Open the 3/4" seacock below the head
  • Flip the switch to add water to bowl with a few pumps
  • Flip the switch to clear the water. Pump the bowl dry after use. Pump several strokes when "dry" is seen to get the waste the 15" or so to the tank (?)
  • Close the seacock.
It seems like there should be some "Unlock" and "Re-Lock" related to twisting the handle. Is there ?

Thanks for any input.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Does the top of the pump cylender look like the one in this pic. It should have a "padlock" symbol on the top. When you turn the handle it will lock the handle from being able to be pumped. If not then it is a regualr / older pump.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can see the "Lock/Unlock" signage on the top, under the handle.. The difference is that the underside of the piston in the pump has a rubber extension that pushes down on the pump flapper valve and locks it closed when you push the handle down and lock it by giving it a quarter turn.. that prevents any backflow into the bowl from the holding tank or discharge line.

Head with Plumbing.JPG

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
Claude, I think you have answered my confusion. To "Lock" the system, I need to push down on the plunger and turn. This is not shown in the video of how it works. When I'm on the boat this weekend I will test this out. Thanks for the clarification!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
  • Open the 3/4" seacock below the head
  • Flip the switch to add water to bowl with a few pumps
  • Flip the switch to clear the water. Pump the bowl dry after use. Pump several strokes when "dry" is seen to get the waste the 15" or so to the tank (?)
  • Close the seacock.
First--welcome aboard!
You almost have it right... Your toilet isn't designed to bring water into the bowl and hold it, so pumping to add water to the bowl simultaneously pushes pushes bowl contents out...a "wet" flush. Pump enough times to get the flush to the tank. Switch to "dry" flush to remove the last of the water from the bowl. It's a very good idea to add water to the bowl ahead of any solid waste--that keeps the bowl a lot cleaner, requiring fewer pumps to do so--but you'll have to use a cup from the sink to do that.

You can leave the seacock open while you're aboard--but NEVER while away from the boat!--if you leave the lever in the "dry" position. Just be sure it's in that position.

Apparently you have the owners manual...if not, you can find it here Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual Check out the "figure 1" drawing on page 3....does your toilet have the 3/4" vented loop that's installed between the pump and the back of the bowl? If not, that needs to be added. It prevents sea water from flooding and possibly overflowing the bowl if the toilet is left in the "wet" position with the seacock open. You aren't likely to do that, but guests who aren't familiar with boat systems are.

--Peggie