Jabsco Toilet lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
A question for the Headmistress, please?

I recently read your advice to lubricate the toilet pump piston with teflon. Have done that with great success, until it started squeaking etc and working hard today. Whilst a re-lube is not a big deal, I wonder whether the use of "Sudbury Marine Toilet Conditioner" ( to be added to water in bowl every day the toilet is used, to lubricate, clean and deodorise it) negates the benefits of the teflon, ie. perhaps removes it?
Should I perhaps stop using it or only use more sparingly?
Would appreciate your comments.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 410 Charlevoix, MI
I live aboard 4 months of the year. I lube my Jabsco manual heads with waterproof silicone grease (plumbing dept at hardware store) It lasts all year with no other lubes or "conditioners" needed.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Ditto for me. I use "Super Lube" brand. A dolop wiped on the bore of the pump generally lasts all year unless we have heavy use due to an extended cruise.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Why would you want the hassle of...

pouring something into the bowl every day, making sure you have it on hand TO pour into the bowl every day, not to mention the added expense...when a 10 minute annual job to squirt a glob of grease from a $5 tube that'll last you at least 5 years even if you also use it to lube your seacocks, y-valves windlass and winches is all that's needed?

Don't wait till the toilet starts to squeak and/or becomes stiff again...lube it as PREVENTIVE maintenance every years during spring recommissioning....or is it fall recommissioning down under? Whenever...that's the time to lube the toilet!

Rich, doesn't sound like you're using enough. Don't wipe...squirt! Stick the nozzle into the pump and give it a good healthy squirt...then pump the toilet a few times to spread all over the inside of the cylinder. If you use too much, it can't hurt anything...the pump will just "spit out" any excess.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Re: Why would you want the hassle of...

Many thanks, Peggie, and others, for your advice. Shall go without the 'conditioner', which I mainly used to prevent odors and as cleaner, ie. 'belts & braces'.
BTW, yes, you are correct, your fall is our spring time - but generally the boat is out of the water only 1 or 2 days a year for antifouling etc : 363 days sailing, except for bad weather or repairs.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Boat doesn't have to be out of the water to lube the toilet

Just close the seacocks! :dance:

Every system requires some preventive maintenance at least annually. Except for bottom painting, I can't think of a single one that can't be done in the water...and if you do the preventive maintenance you'll have fewer repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.