Jabsco Toilet Installation plus new Supply and Discharge Lines - Removal - Prep - Installation: 1984 Hunter 31 Sailboat

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Great video & nice results! Considering the difficulty in replacing hoses and the unpleasant nature of the job, I would have used a top quality sanitation hose, regardless of cost, that would be less prone to odor permeation for a longer period of time.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Great job ! Only question is: Was your wife away so that you were able to bring the old head into the house LOL ?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nice video. However, there are some edits to the audio that you really should make. Your old toilet was not a Raritan, It was a European toilet--a Raske van DerMeade apparently made in Mexico. At least that's what's written on the top of the pump. RM 69 was either the model of the toilet or possibly the model of just the bowl.

The following is not intended to "beat you up," but is constructive criticism to prevent others facing the same job from making the same mistakes.

It would not have been messy at all had you done a couple of things: 1. Flush buckets of clean fresh water through the system before taking anything apart. Put plastic waste basket liners under each connection instead of rags or paper towels to catch any drips. Warm the hoses a bit before trying to pull them off. And fwiw, it can sometimes be a lot easier to connect new hoses to old and pull the new hose through as you pull the old hose out.

Unfortunately you did not buy top quality sanitation hose...you bought the cheapest single walled flex PVC. In fact, unless it's Shields, Trident or possbly MPI hose clearly labeled "sanitation," you may have made the same mistake that others have made when seeing hose in Home Depot or another hardware store that LOOKS like the same thing as the single walled flex PVC sold in marine stores for a fraction of marine store price (but nowhere near $15/ft...Defender's price is $4.25) , but is actually hot tub hose, which isn't rated for sanitation, only for water. If you did, you can expect to start wondering where the odor is coming from within about a month after the weather gets hot next season. Even if you did stumble into a good price on marine sanitation hose, it's likely to permeate very quickly...it did on one of my own boats within 90 days! The good news is, if you also used it for your vent line and toilet intake line, it'll prob'ly be ok a lot longer. Howver, unless it's rated for below-waterline connections, I strongly recommend you replace the toilet intake line--but ONLY the toilet intake line--with true sanitation hose from a marine store....Shields or Trident #148 flex PVC--which is what you thought you were actually getting for a bargain price. So live with it until it does permeate...and THEN replace it with real top quality sanitation hose for about $10/ft. that can last a decade. Meanwhile, at least you didn't spend much for it.

There's an entire chapter in my book devoted to replacing toilets, tanks and hoses (see link in my signature)

--Peggie

Oct 17, 2017
Hunter 31 Deltaville
Really appreciate the comments regarding using a better hose for the supply and discharge lines. Excellent suggestion for anyone tackling this project in the future. Thanks for the comments.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Glad you took my comments the way they were intended, 'cuz it was obvious from the video that you were very proud of the job--which mostly was a job well done!-- and I always hate it when I have rain on anyone's parade.

When the time comes to replace those bargain hoses (trust me, you've joined a long line of boat owners who couldn't wait to report that they'd struck gold when they found hose at the hardware store), give me a shout..I'll glad to help you find top quality hose for a reasonable price.

--Peggie