Jabsco Toilet 29090 Handle

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
My Jabsco toilet (#29090) is leaking at the pump handle plunger, on the up stroke. I’ve purchased a new plunger assembly unit to replace the entire thing.
Now I would like to rebuild the old one and carry it as a spare, it seems it’s an internal parts issue and can be rebuilt. Nothing is broken, bent or damaged.
After winterizing the head to put the boat in storage for the winter, can I remove the leaking handle assembly and leave the head without a pump unit on it for the winter? I want to take it home, and over the winter, take it apart and replace what it needs.
Then in the spring install the new one when I can test it with water and not antifreeze. I don’t think it’s a good idea to put the new one on and leave it dry over the winter.
Any thoughts.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check the price for a rebuild kit and the price for a new pump. Rebuilding may not be worth the effort.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Dave's right...There's typically less than a 25% difference in the price of new pump assembly and a "service kit" for the Jabsco manual toilet. Replacing the pump only requires removing and replacing 2 hoses and 4 bolts (be careful not to over tighten when you replace 'em...that'll cause a leak)--at most a 20 minute job. Rebuilding can take hours if you've never done it before and I can almost gurantee you that you'll mis-align at least one part.

--Peggie

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
Thanks to you both. I’ll be replacing the old assembly. My time and money are better spent elsewhere.

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
Kloudie1,
It is on the upstroke when I see the water coming from that very part you mention.
I have a new complete assembly ready to install when I remove the old one. Once off, I'll be able to get to see the inside.
Others have told me it's that part also.
I may still have a spare after all.
Thank you.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
My Jabsco toilet (#29090) is leaking at the pump handle plunger, on the up stroke. I’ve purchased a new plunger assembly unit to replace the entire thing.
Now I would like to rebuild the old one and carry it as a spare, it seems it’s an internal parts issue and can be rebuilt. Nothing is broken, bent or damaged.
After winterizing the head to put the boat in storage for the winter, can I remove the leaking handle assembly and leave the head without a pump unit on it for the winter? I want to take it home, and over the winter, take it apart and replace what it needs.
Then in the spring install the new one when I can test it with water and not antifreeze. I don’t think it’s a good idea to put the new one on and leave it dry over the winter.
Any thoughts.
When we had a manual jabsco, I always left the top cover loose since the gasket underneath would get damaged over the winter. Once I did that, i never had any issues from winter damage.
Of course, I would loosen the top after winterizing the toilet.

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
Are you speaking of the threaded seal housing that you leave loose or the entire top held with 4 screws

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The little seal can be removed from the bottom of the large "nut" that the shaft goes through. The seal will be a standard size that is designated by the shaft diameter, the OD of the seal , and its thickness.. so it might have a number like 051505, meaning that it goes on a shaft of 5mm, its outer diameter is 15mm and it is 5mm thick.. That is an example only and not the seal that goes in there .. you'd have to measure the seal and shaft with calipers to know.. They are available from Amazon, and usually any ball bearing supplier..

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
That’s my next step after I winterize. Check the seal housing and gaskets. Easy enough to do, easy enough to repair and have a spare on hand.
Thank you to everyone.

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
Dave's right...There's typically less than a 25% difference in the price of new pump assembly and a "service kit" for the Jabsco manual toilet. Replacing the pump only requires removing and replacing 2 hoses and 4 bolts (be careful not to over tighten when you replace 'em...that'll cause a leak)--at most a 20 minute job. Rebuilding can take hours if you've never done it before and I can almost gurantee you that you'll mis-align at least one part.

--Peggie
You may have solved my leak problem on my Jabsco toilet. I bought a new complete pump unit but it leaks in 2 places. I figured tighter was necessary. I tightened all the screws and it leaks. Maybe I will remove the screws and retighten them not so much. I may also try some gasket cement. This is getting frustrating. By the way I went to Walmart and bought 2 cheap screwdrivers, cut one off at the handle and welded them together and now have a long phillips screwdriver to use on the Jabsco toilet.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Don't use any cement/sealant on the gaskets. If it's been long enough since you installed the pump for the screws to create a permanent pucker in the gaskets, buy new gaskets. Fwiw, the flange on a joker valve is a gasket...you may have to replace the joker valve.

--Peggie