Jabsco Manual Toilet Hard to Pump

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
My pretty new Jabsco toilet is suddenly hard to pump when switched from wet to dry. It pumps (fills and flushes) great on the Wet setting, but as soon as switched to dry, it’s hard to push on the downstroke. What gives?? Thanks, Shannon

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sounds like you have problem that's very common in Jabsco manual toilets--a failed wet/dry cam. The wet/dry "valve" is actually just a little "gate" (the cam) that the lever swings to block or unblock the flow of incoming flush water. Due to either a tooling or mfr'g flaw, it hangs up...creating back pressure that feels like pumping against a clog or blocked tank vent, except it only happens in one mode--usually, but not always, the wet mode.

If this is the problem, jiggling the wet/dry control sometimes relieves the problem temporarily.

The cure: replace the wet/dry cam assembly. Jabsco often sends out a new one for no charge...but then you have to take the pump apart to replace it, which can be a PITA and really messy because you can't flush water through the pump to clean it out before you take it apart.

So my advice: just replace the pump instead....modern Jabsco toilets have a fairly short lifespan--they're purposely made to be "disposable" like everything else today. A service kit--which doesn't include the wet/dry cam assembly-- costs almost as much as a pump, which doesn't cost that much anyway...and swapping it out only requires removing and replacing the 4 bolts that hold the pump on the base and two hoses, which beats the socks off taking the pump apart!
I know a bunch of Jabsco manual toilet owners, including one longtime member here, who just replace the pump every spring as "preventive maintenance."

--Peggie

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have had luck with taking off the top cap (after removing the piston of the pump) and making sure the cam and the little valves are clear..

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
We've had Jabsco pumps on our charter boats and everyone of them has had that problem. What I've noticed is that if the lever is not all the way to the dry side it will not pump. Even about a mm off will prevent it. Hold the lever over manually and pump. That usually did it. A royal PITA. Take Peggie's advice and replace. Put in a Raritan PHII or whatever new model they have. Believe me, you will not regret it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... What I've noticed is that if the lever is not all the way to the dry side it will not pump. ... Hold the lever over manually and pump.
My Jabsco does the same thing. I tell crew if the pump does not go down easily, do not force it. All you need (on mine) is to push the dry lever while doing the down stroke once, then it is okay.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
We've had Jabsco pumps on our charter boats and everyone of them has had that problem. What I've noticed is that if the lever is not all the way to the dry side it will not pump. Even about a mm off will prevent it. Hold the lever over manually and pump. That usually did it. A royal PITA. Take Peggie's advice and replace. Put in a Raritan PHII or whatever new model they have. Believe me, you will not regret it.
:plus: At least give it a try and for now delay spending $600 for a replacement or even $80 for the pump assembly.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Smartest move he can make! The current version is the PH SuperFlush, which still uses the tried and true PHII pump. Raritan PH SuperFlush Raritan has redesigned the base to make it a "plug 'n' play" replacement for other manual toilets including Jabsco.

--Peggie
Peggy, are you suggesting that they are interchangeable?
Confused r us. :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy, are you suggesting that they are interchangeable?
Almost. The Raritan pump won't fit the Jabsco base, but the mounting bolt pattern on the SuperFlush base is a match for the Jabsco mounting bolt pattern. So all you have to do is remove the Jabsco, set the SuperFlush down and bolt it down. There is one difference though: the inlet fitting is on the FRONT of the PHII pump, so you might have to buy a few feet of 3/4" sanitation hose (Shields or Trident flex PVC #148 is fine for this) if your existing inlet hose isn't quite long enough. Owners manual including installation instructions is here Raritan SuperFlush Owners Manual

--Peggie