Jabsco Head Swap: Bolts

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

A quick, hopefully easy question.

The boat: a 1996 Hunter 376.

The Jabsco head failed a couple of days ago. Of course, we're still on our transport trip, so we're sitting in Houghton, MI waiting for a new head (combo of friends who sourced us a new device and overnight shipping). It's a nice town, but somewhat limited in access to marine supplies and, of course, we don't have a car. We ended up purchasing the entire new head, as it wasn't much more than a repair kit and it looks like the previous owner had jury rigged some things on the old unit (I found a lot of silicone where there should be gaskets).

I'm looking at the replacement process--it looks straight forward. However, I'm concerned about access for the bolts that hold the toilet to the boat. Are the nuts for those nuts "integrated" into the fiberglass, or will I need to find access underneath the molded plastic to hold the nut in place while I remove the bolt? With limited access to tools/parts I'm nervous about unbolting and hearing something go "clink" underneath the floor. If I need to cut access holes I want to be sure I actually have the appropriate tools before I start the project. From what I can see there is not an access port where I can reach a hand or tool underneath the floor.

Attached is a picture of the current head and mounting molding. Circles around the bolts in question.

Thanks!
Jabsco Head Bolts.jpg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
re the nuts for those nuts "integrated" into the fiberglass, or will I need to find access underneath the molded plastic to hold the nut in place while I remove the bolt?
It's likely those are lag bolts, so no additional nuts should be required.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The mounting bolts on ALL marine toilets are lag bolts, so there are no nuts on them...just back them out.

However, I do suggest that you fill the existing holes with something like Plastic Wood and let it dry/"cure," then drill new ones--which can be the same holes you filled...because although the bolts for the new toilet are nominally the same size as the old ones, now that everything Jabsco makes uses parts and materials sourced from China, there can be slight differences in the tolerance. If the new bolts are a milimeter larger, no problem...but a milimeter smaller can leave you with wobbly toilet.

--Peggie

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I'll second the idea that they're likely lag bolts. They were on my Jabsco toilet on my 2009 H36 when I pulled the commode off to have access to replace the hoses that ran underneath the deck there.

Edit: Peggy's comment literally crossed mine in the ether. She's the expert here.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Awesome--I was really hoping that this was the case (lag bolts), but less and less surprised at the ways that boat manufacturers make (what should be) simple things hard. Thank you Peggy for the pro-tip on the filler. I'll walk up to the hardware store and pick some up today.

Thanks, everyone!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Recently pulled and tossed my Jabsco over the side. The bolts were lag bolts screwed into either a) solid fiberglass or b) plywood sandwiched between fiberglass.

You didn't say what the replacement is, but I hope it's not another Jabsco.

As far as the insertion of the lag bolts,

a) be sure to keep and use the ORIGINAL lag bolts (mark each bolt to its own original hole) so you have a good fit.
b) gently rotate the lag bolts, with you fingers, COUNTER CLOCKWISE, in the holes until you hear a slight click and the bolts drops very slightly in the hole.

In that way you're sure you don't cross thread the original holes. Cross thread a hole in fiberglass and all bets are off.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Unfortunately it is another Jabsco. I wanted to purchase a Raritan, and will probably swap it later, but was under the gun and couldn't find any Raritans in stock that could make it to our remote location next-day.