I've nearly conquered my cabin leaks.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've aquired alot of new knowledge and tools from my local wooden boat yard. They deal with this stuff all the time and it's pretty ho hum for them.

One of the biggest culprits are the cabin corners. This is a common problem for wooden boats. The forward corners were pretty easily repaired by simply kerfing out the joint and epoxying a spline into it. You can even do it with just the epoxy(and a small kerf-dovetail saw etc).

And then another trick they use is to simly drill a hole at the top of the joint(can be under the trim piece) and bottom. These guys will inject alchohol first to dry things out and tell show you the leaks. Then they'll inject West into the upper hole. At times they'll thicken if needed. Anyway, this procedure works well on the aft corners.

My last spot is the bridgedeck which I plan to do something with this winter. I'm repairing the cockpit in places as well. I'm thinking I'll leave it stock and replace/repair, refasten the whole thing.

The blasted bridge deck to galley leak on my boat is a combination of this and the corner leaking. This has taken alot of figuring out. Now I know what's going on, it's easier to deal with.