I've just purchased my first Cat. 27' Sloop

Jul 11, 2011
Catalina 30' Oak Harbor
I've owned quite a few sailboats, but at the age 71 I needed a smaller and more easily managed single hander.......I think I've found her in my new purchase...1984 Cat. 27' Diesel, Tiller. I discovered something I don't really understand, or recognize.......I have in the lazzerette, a plastic bottle with a hose leading to the "engine room" that appears to have a red liquid in it. The hose is approx. 1" OD. I haven't chased it down yet, but it seems strange to me and I don't know it's purpose. Thanks to anyone who could shed some light on this bottle. It's too cold to go to the boat and trace it out at this point. Thanks,

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Hi, Having the exact same boat type/year I can tell you it's not a normal fixture. Knowing you are fairly well up north, and as such the boat will likely be winterized, I would bet it was some setup the owner used to feed RV (pink) antifreeze into the raw water inlet.

Jun 9, 2015
Catalina 27 Vancouver, False Creek.
I also have an '89 Cat 27 with a bottle in the lazarette connected to the engine.
It is the engine coolant overflow reservoir. The hose from it cconnects to the engine under the thermostat cap just like in a car.
Use it to check and top up your engine coolant.
Enjoy your new boat!
P.s the hose on mine is much less than 1" OD.

Jul 11, 2011
Catalina 30' Oak Harbor
I found out what it is. It's a collection bottle for the "overflow" from the fuel tank vent. At least I'll be safe from polluting the water at the gas dock. Thanks fore your help, Rey

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
That's a good idea cause I've got to be real careful filling my 27 cause to[p of filler neck is higher than vent on back of boat .can make a mess in the water.