I've got the marina slip waiting list blues

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah... Plenty of ways to verify a person's continued interest without a charge. On the other hand, even maintaining a list costs money... That is what they should cover with charges. $10 / year should pay for a letter to my house and for someone to receive the reply and keep me on the list!

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
long beach has always been impossible if you wait.
alamitos can be 10 years actual wait.
put in for shoreline if you want fast slip--they only 4 yrs last i heard. donot forget the other lost angeles area marinas. there are many. cerritos channel has many marinas..try those also, and newmarks and yacht harbor by the turning basin.
if you want a slip soonest , you look outside the desired areas.
my first slip was in lighthouse yacht landings.. rodl. worked as a slippage and was fast and no waiting.
the fee is so they know you are indeed a serious customer, not just a tire kicker. it is NOT a tax.
I have never waited to get into Downtown Marina 3 times and only a 3 month wait to transfer to Alamitos bay and that was over 20 years ago. Now there seem to be less boats BUT Alamitos is renovating and making less smaller slips and there are more smaller boats (people downsizing due to economy), that is why the longer wait. Marke14 and I are in Wilmington but is is too industrial and a 5 mile trip to open water, I prefer to spend more time in the ocean and less time dodging 1200 foot container ships, fuel barges and cruise ships.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Here in Vancouver, a 3-5 year waiting list is normal. Some have over 10 years. And some have given up with a list - it's a free-for-all every April.

druid

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
whose marinas are govt owned???
most in cali are private or privatized

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Some of above sounds pretty good.
Newport RI - when I first moved here the old timers said "Look at those fools with moorings in the harbor (maybe a few dozen), they will lose their boats in the first storm. Need to have a storm mooring in Breton cove"
That was the main harbor, now it is one of 3 areas plus the cove with moorings. Over 1000 total!
Waiting list for a MOORING spot is now 10 yrs resident/15 non-resident with a $10 yearly fee to stay on the waiting list. City owns the spot, you can't sell it, just relinquish for the next person on the wait list.
Slips? Commercial or yacht club marinas. Waiting lists.
Other harbors on the bay similar.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Thanks everyone for the replies. It helps to have some perspective, and everyone knows that misery loves company. :)

Zeehag, we are indeed at Lighthouse. As SoCal C50 mentioned (and as Zeehag knows), we've got 5 miles of Cerritos/Main Channel navigation, among the tall trees (mega container ships, bulk freighters, Roll-On/Roll-Offs, tankers) as well as the Catalina Express guys, who seem to alternate between good guys/captains and a-holes (un-scientifically speaking), just to get to the sailing areas.

Feb 24, 2024
Hunter 460 St. Clair Shores, MI
Harbor Springs, MI has a waiting list of 226. The oldest request has been waiting since 2003. And this with a sailing season from end of May to beginning of October.