I've got the marina slip waiting list blues

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
I was looking at the waiting list "fee" for remaining on the list, and I wondered since I had applied a while back (6 months) to get a 25' slip in Long Beach. I called the office and was told that I was around 30th in line and that the waiting time would likely be "around five years". Even with our slow-moving revamp of the marina, it seemed incredible to me. Five years!

Is it like this in other areas and states? I am only familiar with the San Pedro to Long Beach / Sunset Beach marina areas. We live in LB so we'd love to be in Alamitos but the office person told me that they only have a small number of 25' slips to begin with and the new construction - whenever that gets funded and happens - would likely only be "a couple of gangways" worth. :(

We are currently in LA Harbor but it's a long ways to get out to go sailing. I guess I should be grateful. Maybe I'll move us out to Cabrillo in San Pedro where my brother has a boat, but I worry because it gets so windy out there (just concerned about getting in and out of the fairway and slip when it's blowing good).

Anyway - locals, other states including lake marinas, do you usually face a waiting list in the realm of years or is it generally more available?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I had to wait a year for a 30ft in Dana Point. I think 25ft is less wait. But a little far from you.
Try King Harbor in Redondo.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Shelter Bay has an empty slip waiting for you. A bit of a commute, but...

Aug 12, 2014
Yeah I am thinking about Redondo, I guess I should give them a call. Shelter Island would be a bit of a drive no doubt!
Is Newport all moorings, basically? Seems like a PITA to have to motor out.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You probably don't want to do Redondo and live in LB. I certainly would give Cabrillo a shot. Winds... you get used to. Keep your name on the Shoreline and Alamitos wait list. It may move a lot quicker than you were told. Good luck and don't get discouraged. In the meantime, besides Cabrillo, check for private slips in Naples and you may also want to check that marina by the Maya Hotel across from Shoreline. Oh, don't forget Rainbow Harbor (inside Shoreline Village). They might have move-in slips. They are not managed by Shoreline Marina. They have their own dockmaster & office.

Aug 12, 2014
I thought Rainbow Harbor was part of the LB jurisdiction or whatever?

I will start checking those places thanks for those suggestions. The Maya in particular would be great. I think they have a very specific channel/approach in that area however.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It used to be that way years ago in the Puget Sound area. Last year we got our 32 foot slip with no waiting. Mid summer they will be full.
Ken

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
A lot of boaters in the Anacortes area are putting their boats on the hard during the winter. This used to be not the norm..A lot of land has been turned into storage with water and power. Theyre missing some of the best cruising albeit a little colder....A slip could be had around here anytime during the 7 mo of non summer....its kind of strange seeing them all lind up on shore. They drive up to the dock in Sept, tell the dockmaster to haul and block and drive away never to be seen until Spring. Inflatables still hanging on davits with small outboards still attached, not winterized etc.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Are there chords to this song? More lyrics? Something about paying to be in a waiting line!
I saw my yacht early this morning...
It was waiting on down by the bay...
But the man... The man he done told me
We got no space for you today!
But if you gimme, gimme some more money
You can wait in line to play!

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Now that is a "gig". Next time they'll incorporate the "Fast Pass" where for Extra $$$ they 'll move you up the line.
That's a good idea! When I buy my first marina, I'm definitely implementing that! I'll certainly provide royalties for the idea though.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While I would never advise someone to join a yacht club for the Sole Purpose of getting a slip...
you might want to check into the yacht club option. I have been a YC member for over 20 years and have an excellent tie up to an all-concrete float and head walk - pretty much state of the (marina) art.

I like all the social activities and eagerly participate in the work to maintain the facility. Our annual work hour requirement is only 12 measly hours... ! Heck of a deal... our total $ outlay per month is about half what others pay to moor in public or corporate moorages. And their docks are in worse shape, too.

Anyhow, you might want to look around at bit and not limit your options.
Cheers,
Loren

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
When I requested a transfer from a mooring to a slip, I was told it would be a three to five year wait. Turned out to be one year. So maybe they are just being conservative. One can hope.
But if it's already been a while, the Yacht Club angle is interesting. You might also consider expanding your request up to a larger slip, 30 foot maybe, and then transfer to a 25 foot slip when one becomes available. Comes down to what is it worth to you. A fee to stay on a waiting list just sounds wrong on the surface of it, but it probably serves as way for them to shorten the list, weed out those have moved on.

Aug 12, 2014
To those who asked: the initial "application fee" to request a slip in the Long Beach, CA marina system (two separate marinas administered centrally) was $55. I paid that in July 2015. Now, I am told that I need to fork out another $55 PER YEAR that I remain on the wait list. I think that is pure sh*t, even for Long Beach which I love and hate depending on what we're talking about.

It feels a bit like extortion to have to pay $55 to keep your little slip of paper (or much more likely, a few bytes of data in a database) on file with the marina department. The part that always grinds my gears is the GLEEFUL manner in which the folks who answer the phone tell you all this crap. "Yes, it will be probably five years and yes, you have to pay every year!" <-- said with a smile in their voice. I'm telling you, it's like they enjoy telling people to f- off. Perhaps I am reading into it a bit but isn't it their duty to try to accommodate boaters into the marina system? They never offer any alternatives or suggestions - even "maybe try Marina Del Rey" or anything!

That windy slip in San Pedro is looking better and better.

Aug 12, 2014
Regarding the yacht club suggestions, I had thought of that. I suppose I could add up the marina rental fees (about $3,400 for us now) vs. the $4k "junior" level (which I think I am aged out of now) YC membership fees for one of the two local YCs I'd looked at, plus a certain minimum "dining" fees that you have to spend as a member per year, plus I am assuming slip fees on top of all that, seems to not make sense for us financially. Believe me, I would not mind being part of a club!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There's currently no waitlist for a 25' slip at Dana Point, $350/month however, decades ago I had to wait 6 months for a 25' slip. When they started to "rebuild" the harbor it was anticipated that smaller slips would be eliminated and new tenants were not given "permanent" status. This meant they would not be guaranteed a slip after the redevelopment so a lot of small slips were left vacant. It's been decades now and the rebuilding of the docks etc. is still no where in sight. Short run to the harbor entrance, best weather, lighter crowds etc.

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
Marke14, I looked at Alamitos bay just before Christmas and was told the same thing, No Thanks! I was there 20 years ago and it is a short trip out to sea it's not worth it. I was also thinking of the Cabrillo area. As for Yacht clubs look into Hurricane Gulch Yacht Club, not expensive because it's a non-equity club (no clubhouse) and they do have reciprocals with other clubs.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
long beach has always been impossible if you wait.
alamitos can be 10 years actual wait.
put in for shoreline if you want fast slip--they only 4 yrs last i heard. donot forget the other lost angeles area marinas. there are many. cerritos channel has many marinas..try those also, and newmarks and yacht harbor by the turning basin.
if you want a slip soonest , you look outside the desired areas.
my first slip was in lighthouse yacht landings.. rodl. worked as a slippage and was fast and no waiting.
the fee is so they know you are indeed a serious customer, not just a tire kicker. it is NOT a tax.