It's Wednesday once again - Photo Day

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Bimini is obviously slowing you down. Plus, people are crowding under it, putting too much weight aft. Issue sunscreen and send crew forward if you are racing!

Note radar reflector lashed into “catch rain” position on backstay. Mainland in background is shrouded with
Eclipse Frenchboro ME.jpg
...fog.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
A couple more photos from the race. There are a lot more biminis up than you might think for a race. I'll remember to chase my crew out of the cool, shaded cockpit in the next race, right after they get the captain a beer.

49956062421_003f24acaa_o.jpg
49955413333_62137d2135_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think biminis are "faster" when they are open than folded back. So long as you can see your sail trim.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The guys in the red boat seem to be admiring it. :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Spring 2020: These guys with a mobile crane are stepping most of the masts this year in my harbor(the boat yard is way behind schedule).

They have their own floating dock which they lower over the harbor wall. They'll pick up and bring your mast on the truck, or simply lift it off your boat.

I believe their base charge is $225. If you, your stick and rigging are organized, it won't cost you more. If you didn't sort things out before hand, extra time may cost you (especially if you're annoying,..).

My friend Nate at the crane controls has been running cranes and travel lifts as long as I've been around here. It takes a light touch and concentration. There was a little swell coming in yesterday. Deep down inside this Tartan 34, Shane was guiding the keel stepped mast butt toward the step on the keel.

It's always a tense few seconds as the person below places the butt keeping fingers out of the way as the boat rises and rolls in the swell.

I think Nates dog is trained to keep a threatening eye on distracting bystanders that think they should ask Nate a stupid question.

Nate stepping Tartan 34'.jpg

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
That's always a touchy operation. I learned to keep a couple of pieces of plywood handy to keep the mast butt away from the joiner work. Surprised not to see a good baulk of timber under that crane outrigger.

Feb 11, 2017
Always liked that stopover right inside the inner breakwater. Too many moorings to anchor but alway an open mooring to use. Staying aboard, I never felt too guilty about that. Their fishing fleet rolls you out early so you get a good start on the next days travels. I've made it from there to Cuttyhunk in one day - I know Larry has longer legs!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Actually there is a dedicated anchorage area north of the breakwater marked by white buoys, and it’s fairly large. The private moorings are north and south of the anchorage leaving a rectangular area.
We’re making this our summer base and doing a lot of day sailing. No big plans due to Covid. It’s blowing a bit tonight (15-20 currently). The image below is from last week, we were sailing about a mile off the beach east of Watch Hill, with a north wind so with only a short fetch we had smooth water. Went half way to Pt Judith and back under those conditions. :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2017
Something new - things always change (which you can count on). Been several years since we've done any big boat stuff!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Actually there is a dedicated anchorage area north of the breakwater marked by white buoys, and it’s fairly large. The private moorings are north and south of the anchorage leaving a rectangular area.
We’re making this our summer base and doing a lot of day sailing. No big plans due to Covid. It’s blowing a bit tonight (15-20 currently). The image below is from last week, we were sailing about a mile off the beach east of Watch Hill, with a north wind so with only a short fetch we had smooth water. Went half way to Pt Judith and back under those conditions. :cool:
I anchored there my first night in Stonington in 2018. Good holding and I was the only boat anchored. Beautiful spot and removed from all the shoreside action.