It's snowing!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Hershey said:
I can deal with the 125F --- but frostbite sailing ... not for me. Having spent a few months by San Antonio the summer (66) I did not enjoy diving into a pool where the water was warm. [Lackland AFB].

Hershey
Courtesy of my Uncle Sam in the early '70s, I spent time in Thailand and enjoyed swimming in the warm hotel pool before returning home. It was early June and my younger siblings were enjoying swimming in my parents' spring-fed pond in Vermont. So I dove in... Every time I see the Seinfeld episode about "shrinkage", I remember what I experienced when I dove into that pond.

At our club, frostbiters wear dry suits. I can attest to the fact that I was quite comfortable in the water with the drysuit on. Just a splash of cold water on my face...

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Elaine: "They shrink?"

...if I ever have TV in my home again -which is doubtful,
The first thing I'll search for and watch will be Seinfeld re-runs!

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
James, we haven't had cable in over four years - but there are a lot of web sites that let you go back and watch...

We watch some current shows on CBS.com

May 3, 2008
Kunzig...

Aren't you glad Grace Alone didn't sell?
In a few months there will be that bright, warm (ish) Spring day and you'll be thinking...

"Awesome! I better get her in the water and go sailing!!"

:cool:

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Here we are last night in the snow storm headed to warmer weather. The Capri and trailer got pretty messy!! The keel was covered in slush. BTW, the strings are for the full boat cover we have from trailersailor.com

Jul 9, 2013
My tarp/cover system will get a real test tonight as we are expecting 1 to 2 feet of snow in the northern California foothills (an hour downhill from Lake Tahoe) and a low of 12 degrees forecast. That is real cold for around here!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
jerrymlewis said:
My tarp/cover system will get a real test tonight as we are expecting 1 to 2 feet of snow in the northern California foothills (an hour downhill from Lake Tahoe) and a low of 12 degrees forecast. That is real cold for around here!

Sounds like GLOBAL WARMING to me.

I am not sure if this storm is going to go to the north of me. Time will tell. Hey, it's winter we expect this.

Aviator James, how about some more photo's of those "deck ornaments" you always seem to have on your boat.

Hershey

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
We got 6 inches in a town that shuts down with one. Corvallis, where I work, got 9 inches. The University shut down at noon but I'd already left by then. Really nice powder if I'd been on a mountain with skis, not so great in a town with no plows and (apparently) only 1 sander that looks suspiciously like a truck mounted asphalt machine.

Just chained up the truck at 7 PM, even though it's a 4x4, because it's going to get very cold and the already slick packed snow will become a glare of ice by the time I head out to pick up my daughter from work at 10. I checked my tarp from a distance and it looked ok. Might drive the 1/4 mile to the lock up tomorrow if the ice isn't too slick.

Just to keep this Capri related, here I am wearing my foulie bibs. :D

May 3, 2008
...like a big Christmas present, all wrapped up!! ...for Spring!
Just need a big bow on her!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
The Admiral bought me an early Christmas present at Costco so I can tell if it's too cold to sail

Not sure why it thinks it's going to rain (er snow?) though it is cloudy.

Attachments