It's snowing!

Jul 9, 2013
I just put the sails away in the garage and put a tarp on Kudzu for the winter (parked in my yard), but it was 65 degrees here yesterday. But we are getting down into the upper 30s at night. Winter still hasn't hit the northern California foothills (an hour west of Lake Tahoe, an hour east of Sacramento) yet.

Jul 5, 2013
Sheboygan Wisconsin has snow on the ground. My boat has been in storage for over a month now.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Well, if it's any consolation, the weather in Northern California is in the high 70s, but the lake has looked like this since September... :cry:

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
CapriWannaBe said:
Well, if it's any consolation, the weather in Northern California is in the high 70s, but the lake has looked like this since September... :cry:
Tide's out!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Is that normal for that lake? Is there a dam which they open up in the fall so they got room for spring run-off?
What lake is that. If it gets cold where the lake would freeze at least you do not have to take the docks out in the winter like we have to.

Hershey

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
JEPomer said:
Tide's out!
That's funny!!! Must be that foothill tide...

That's lovely Folsom Lake, home of fluky winds and (for now) very little water. It's a water supply and flood control reservoir. Boats typically get pulled from the marina in September or October in wet years and July, August, or September in dry years. Boats go back in in April. After 2 dry years, we had to pull the boats in early August which was better than the mid-July projections they started with. There was still enought water to trailer sail until about mid-October this year.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Ottawa, Ontario
With temperatures down below freezing for the past couple of days and having had to shovel the sidewalk once already this week, it looked like the sailing season was over....until today. It is a solid 5 degC with winds 5-10kn from the SSW and I've got 1hr until sunset. Time to sneak in one more sail. Luckily, the ice surrounding the boat yesterday has already melted this afternoon so I didn't have to do the normal icebreaker routine we see this time if the year.

There really is something to be said for living somewhere you can sail year-round. Can always drive to the ski hills if the urge rises.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Sheltered.. Still not had a chance to work on it.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Hersh... Tractor is brandy new. I have 24 hours on it now... 18 of which my wife put on it. We run dogs from horseback in competition (her hobby)... She breeds Brittanys (what we compete with), and the ATV was for running dogs when we aren't running them from horseback. The Tractor was for "farm" like work, including clearing rocks from paths on the property.

So yeah we have some "toys" but we do a lot of work for our hobbies with those toys. We do enjoy our hobbies though. The boat still gets the lion's share of the garage though.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
We had light flurries Friday morning here in Dallas.
But nothing on the ground.

Way too cold to go for a Thanksgiving day sail tho!
State Legislature decreed that 65 degrees F is freezing in Texas.

Jan 22, 2008
cavelamb said:
65°F would be a refreshing Summer Day here in New England.
Always knew Texans were a bit "wimpy"! <grinning with regional pride>

BTW - some of us in New England sail all winter long...
http://www.mass-frostbite.org

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
JEPomer said:
cavelamb said:

Huh.
Come see me in August.
THEN we'll see who the real wimps are!
125 in the shade on a nice warm afternoon.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
I can deal with the 125F --- but frostbite sailing ... not for me. Having spent a few months by San Antonio the summer (66) I did not enjoy diving into a pool where the water was warm. [Lackland AFB].

Hershey

Jan 22, 2008
cavelamb said:
JEPomer said:
cavelamb said:

Huh.
Come see me in August.
THEN we'll see who the real wimps are!
125 in the shade on a nice warm afternoon.
I can handle your summer temperatures and have before. It is better to give a body some time to acclimate. Last summer I got to spend several weekends at Badwater CA (not sailing though, the tides was out). The night air was refreshing at 110°F.

Coming from the "Live Free or Die" state, our legislature wouldn't decree that temperature "boiling", but we all would identify it as "hot, wicked hot", then get on with our business...

Then there was the time I landed at Calgary in January. The pilot announced the temperature was -37°. It didn't really matter if it was Fahrenheit or Celsius...