It's Not a Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl Kiple

My wife and I care for and sail a 1979 Hunter. We don't ever call her (the boat) a Hunter, she is known as a Cherubini. The pride we felt when we first sailed her still exsist today. The Jersey shore is a very challanging place for any size boat and sailors of all experence levels. Our Cherubini has and will continue to sail with the best of them, any size any price. Our favorite question is "Cherubini ?" Our favorite answer "sure is". Her design is the envy to those spent much more. She still will give me seven knots and wows from my friends. What more could a man want? Thanks John.

H

Hunter Owner

You know it a Hunter when:

1) You can buy it with one payment 2) You're afraid to ask about it on the CWBB 3) When the mast step rusts 4) When the compression post rots 5) It rains inside through those plastic ports. 6) Your broker doesn't show it much 7) When you decide to wait until your next boat for that windlass. 8) You carry more tools on your boat than in your truck 9) You know the company name who made your rudder 10)You think Cherubibi's name makes it better than the other Hunters. Gotta be more - feel free to add them! Next guy please mention Blisters!

B

Bob Knott

My 2 cents

Lets see I'll try not to retaliate against Hunter Owner, who probably doesn't own a Hunter but Here's my list. You Know it's a Hunter when; 1. I'm out sailing while the purist is varnishing or rebuilding or fixing another broken something on his 70's full keeled whatever. 2. When I can buy a new 38' foot Hunter for less than a 10 year old super dooper whatever it is the experts say if better than mine, but 10 feet shorter. 3. When technology enables me to spend quality time with my family sailing the way I choose to sail, at an affordable price. 4. When the company that builds the boat actually has a customer service department, and doesn't tell you hey we only build it call the dealer for repairs and problems. 5. When buying anchors, rode, fire extinguishers, life jackets, repair kits, touch up kits, and instrumentation are included! Even though you buy more anyway, what a nice touch that nobody else bothers with. 6. My kids say hey Daddy can we each take a friend to Nantucket this weekend, and I say yes, cause my 380 has enough room or all of us! 7. When I sit in the cockpit late at night while music softly plays on the included CD player, and my wife and I enjoy a nice Cabernet, while the kids entertain themselves below, yes sometime even watching a movie on the VCR! 8. When my 10 year old opti racing son can trim the sails because they are not 150's that adults get tired cranking around when tacking frequently. Well I could go on and on. By the way, I've now owned two hunters, and my mast step has no signs of rust, none of the plastic lights on either boat has ever leaked a drop. Oh yea from a real Hunter owner who signs my name on my posts cause hey I've got nothing to hide and no reason to hide my identity. Bob Knott H380 S/V Serenity rjkphotog@capecod.net

L

Les Blackwell

Bob, You're right on!

Bob, you are eloquent at times and right on. I've now had four Hunters and while this H380 has had some initial problems, I am slowly solving them. But the overall design of the boat is a dream. Looks are something that each person has to decide for themselvesk, so I'm in love at the moment with this boat. Interesting enough, with my previous three boats, I've never had any of the problems that "Hunter Owner" mentions. I doubt if I will with this H380. Of the four H boats, only one had a deck leak and only if I put the rail under the water. Since it didn't sail well that way, we hardly ever had a leak. Change is a hard thing for all of us to accept at times and in different ways. But Hunter is making changes in the sailing world--their plant is running at full capacity. Someone must be buying. Thanks again for your words of wisdom. Have a good sail this spring. Les

C

Carl

Hunter owner

Well I don't know if he is a Hunter owner either but what I do know is that he has no class at all. He's the kind of crew best droped off at the first port with a bus ticket.

J

Jay Hill

Yeah, I remember my first beer...

...but not my second as it appears Hunter Owner is having a bad day with his Hunter. Oh well, guess it could happen. Certainly hope you get everything fixed on your vessel and get some sailing in. If not, you might want to trade the boat in for something else. It's the same advice I give people that complain about their job: "If you don't like it, get a different one and go away" Pretty much the same applies to boats, if you're unhappy, then why own the dang thang? I bet there is someone that will buy it. Let us know what you decide! Oh yeah, let us know what vessel you decide on; I'm curious as I am looking for another boat myself.

B

Bob Knott

Hey Les, only sometimes???

Les, Whadda ya mean eloquent sometimes???? Hows 'bout da restda da tyme??? :)))))) Thanks Bob Knott S/V Serenity H380

J

Jim Rice

Maintenance Free?

Problems with boats? Heavens! Nothing I own is perfect and it all requires maintenance and care--cats or cars or condos or Cherubinis.

D

Dennis Rowley

still miss mine!

i still miss our 81 hunter 30. it's probably still in pearl harbor, where we left her in 1986. we sailed from norfolk to groton, ct, then had the boat shipped to hawaii. great boat, for sure! d.r.

S

Sam Lust

Lighten up?

Despite the fact the guy wouldn't identify himself the post was actualy pretty funny. I know I laughed. A lot. And that's from the perspective of an owner of a Hunter 33. I think the realists among us are fully aware of what we have. The Cherubini boats are well designed vessels put together in a PRODUCTION environment that occasionaly became somewhat slap-dash at times. I've seen way too much evidence of it on my boat. (How 'bout the piece of corrugated stuck to an inside area a normal owner might never see? Piece of cardboard packing box used to stir the gel coat used to cover over the visible parts of glass work on the interior. Too far to walk to a trash can? Stick the stirrer to the inside of the hull. Who'll see It? The up-side? The guys with the outlandishly priced vessels have the same problems with their boats that we do, but they get to pay a lot more money to have them. (The boats AND the repairs. Don't tell me that isn't true. As a maintenence mechanic I lnow that the guy with a BMW in the drive pays more for a plumber than a guy with an old chevy!) A salesman for one of the more costly makers made a good point. "The diference between a Hunter and whatever is in the expensive details". And that doesn't make it sail better. And a Catalina salesman also made a valid point. The expensive guys build only a few, and have no real opportunity for proper development. Production makers build thousands and can develop the best methods, materials and construction. I just wish "Hunter Owner" had used his name. This is not alt.sailing.asa !!! samlust@monmouth.com

T

Tom M.

TO SAY YOUR BOAT IS NOT A HUNTER

Remember, though cheribini did the design work, Hunter did build a good boat, I have a 1982/83 27foot Cheribini design Hunter, Though for the past four years my boat "the frigate" has gone through a metamorphsis from a sloop to a scutter, coastal cruiser to a blue water boat, and it so happens I do call it my Cheribini cutter !, I've added, a bridgedeck, a watertight companionway door, dorades, fwd & aft, bruce anchor & roller sys, cockpit reduction boards, wind vand steering, solar pane and a ampair wind generator, floatation collar fwd & aft, watertight v berth & main cabin settees, mini bulkheads, etc; but it's still a Hunter, alot better than most of the 27 footers or larger I've come across, but it's still a Hunter.

B

Bob England

Hunter pride of workmanship - not always!

According to the Hunter/Luhrs mythology (see the article Hunter Q&A in the Reference Library, and articles elsewhere), in the late 80's Warren Luhrs turned his interest back from offshore racing to managing the company, and introduced the Demming philosophy of Total Quality Management. This was supposed to improve the quality of the product. I have a 1989 H30G which should have been built while this program was fresh and everyone was motivated. But there is evidence that not all the workers bought into the program. My boat developed a leak into the forwardmost bow compartment, I think due to separation between the deck molding and the hull at the drainpoint of the anchor locker. This is not unusual. But when I installed an inspection port into the compartment in order to remove the accumulated water, I found it full of trash, apparently sealed in at the time of manufacture. I guess they assumed this compartment would never see the light of day, so just dump stuff in there rather than carry it out to the trash bin. I found a rotting collection of plastic sheeting, a half used tube of caulking, various bits of electric wiring, and some "spare" SS washers. This stuff had been in there for 10 years. While in general I like my boat, I was not impressed by this.

J

Jim Kolstoe

Still proud of mine

I've had my h23 since 12/86. I'm still proud to own and sail it and I still cannot walk away from the marina without stopping to look back and admire my boat. "Hunter Owner" seriously diminishes his credibility by not using his name when he claims such a list of problems. I agree with Jay, if you find the grapes too sour, go try the grapes elsewhere. Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

T

Tom M.

Quality how does it start , how far can you take i

John Cheribini and family came from New Jersy, His family had a Boat building yard there, and Warren Luhrs and his family started in the same place, so the got together over coffee in the early seventies and talked about starting up a "sailbot" line at Luhrs called Hunter, so John designed, while Warren built, in the middle of 1983, warren was moving his operation to Florida, and John was now in Seattle, with Boeing, in 83, the accomplished quality standards, was given a backseat until the operation flowed better, then in 88 or 89 it became one of the foundation's building blocks, but people will be people and slobs will be slobs, and sometimes we trust too much, but as to what i've seen in Hunters to the most expensive semi or full custom boats, there's always corners that will be cur and slobs pulling some brainless act.

Status
Not open for further replies.