Its funny Friday!

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
“Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

“Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.”

“An honest man in politics shines more there than he would elsewhere.”

“There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.”

“All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity.”

--- Mark Twain

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
jssailem, thanks for reminding me of a similar statement regarding alcohol.

Many years ago I purchased a green ceramic beer mug at a thrift store. The inscription on it read as follows:
"In vino veritas, aber auch etvas im bier!" A few years ago I gifted that mug to Frank G, my long-time sailing friend and all-round fine gentleman, who is of German ancestry.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
jssailem, thanks for reminding me of a similar statement regarding alcohol.

Many years ago I purchased a green ceramic beer mug at a thrift store. The inscription on it read as follows:
"In vino veritas, aber auch etvas im bier!" A few years ago I gifted that mug to Frank G, my long-time sailing friend and all-round fine gentleman, who is of German ancestry.
And now it’s for sale on Etsy!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/221331068/vintage-beer-stein-green-german-style

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
And... Stein means Stone. The mug is Krug. Ein Krug auf Stein means a mug of stone.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That story must have a different meaning than I think, considering it's a frog telling it. :D

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

Our first party boat sported a bright stainless steel plate on one of her two bows because my mother damaged the stem when she tried to break a Champaign bottle on it at launch. The bottle didn't break.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Non breaking Champagne bottle is not unusual, even at formal ship launches. That is why the bottle is scored before it is wrapped. That way the bottle is likely to ceremonially burst and spray bubbly and the wrap captures the otherwise flying glass.

It’s bad luck for a ship to be launched and the bottle not to burst on the first wack.