It's a wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Gee...

Roman Polanski movie...older guy, younger girl/child...go figure!!!

V

vinn

can anyone remember ths one?

when i was just a little kid, i was mezmerized by a gilbert roland movie called underwater. yeah the guy with the leather wrist band. the movie as i can remember, was filled with adventure, intrigue, testerone, and jane russell. if you were around in 1955, when it came out, you will remember the pearl diving plot living aboard a beautiful sparkman & stephens looking yacht, somewhere in the caribeen. i still dream about all those blue water island scenes till this day, imagining it could be me. 50 yrs later i bought my first yacht. yeah, it really effected me back then, and i think it was only in black & white.

Jan 10, 2007
Hunter 216 Pardise Found
Dead Calm impossible scene!!

Dead Calm was on TV last night so I watched it again. I love the scene at the end where Nicole Kiddman (a very slight woman...not an Amazon by any stretch of the imagination) leans out with one arm and snags her husband out of the water...with the large ketch at speed no less. This would make a Navy Seal proud. In actual life, her arm would have been pulled out of the socket! I did notice the husband had some lines around his chest when he hugged her after the rescue. Wonder if the lines has something to do with the stunt. The other part I like is how Nicole can leave the helm and get close enough to snag her husband out of the water. Talk about a balanced helm! Eat your heart out Don G! I total crack up every time I see this scene.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Cheesey Movie

You had to know how it would end way before it happened

S

Scott

Open Water II

We just watched this movie and I was really enthused when 6 couples and 1 baby set sail on a beautiful sloop. The movie went downhill when they dropped sail to go for a swim. Then, all six adults found themselves in the water with no ladder to get back in the boat! Pretty stupid!

Mar 10, 2005
- - Barnegat Bay, NJ
Oh no. Girl-friendly??

<< Dead Calm is definately on my top list. Words for the wise: If you want to go cruising with your girlfriend one day and are trying to show her as much of the great life as you can, don't show her Capt. Ron, Dead Calm, White Squall, Master & Commander, The Bounty, or Pirates of the Caribbean. They'll get the idea that sailing is dangerous - rape, piracy, storms, sinking boats, stolen boats, lost at sea - I think Wind is the only girl friendly, safe sailing movie.>> Oh crikie! Have you got it wrong here. Captain Ron not only got me dying to go cruising, but also our 20-year-old daughter. Please don't underestimate the appeal of Kurt Russell in a speedo, Russell Crowe in battle, Mel Gibson in little more than a tan, and (you have to be kidding here) Johnny Depp in anything, but especially as a pirate. The problem with Dead Calm was not the hot-looking maniac so much as the opening horrific sequence that has nothing to do with sailing, thank goodness. I will never watch that part of the movie again. And I love Sam Neill. White Squall had some great parts to it but was a tragic movie, no doubt. I think it made my husband more nervous about cruising, after watching that one. I have to say that as many tissues as I needed after Captains Courageous, it was a fantastic film. And yes, Failure to Launch is great fun--Matthew takes off his shirt in movies more these days than Captain Kirk used to. I love how in this and some of the other films a boat under sail is so polite it stops instantly when the boom inevitably sends a guy overboard and he needs picking up. I have to teach mine how to do that! Wind is the dopiest thing I have ever seen. I can only watch the actual sailing parts--the rest is painful to listen to. I think the movie that really would turn someone off the long-distance cruising idea is a TV movie (about the 1970s, I believe) called And the Sea Will Tell. Reminds one that you're really on your own out there. Now bring me that horizon. Susan

J

jim ellis

the dove

husband's choice. me i liked-probably only me-waterworld.

Mar 10, 2005
- - Barnegat Bay, NJ
Waterworld

Any rotten kid comes near my boat with crayons I'd do the same thing... That catamaran really kicked butt. While I think they should have paid George Miller for the plot (it was so Road Warrior on the Water) it was a lot of fun, especially Dennis Hopper. Susan

J

Jeff Lewis

No One Mentioned DOVE!!!

I cannot believe no one even mentioned the movie "Dove" about the youngest kid who sailed single handed around the world. To this day I cannot find a copy of it anywhere, but it actually won an Acedemy Award back in the 70's for the best cinematography or sound track or something like that! They used a Ranger 23 in the movie and to this day I love that film and story!

Status
Not open for further replies.