It’s A Small World

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Our 1984 Beneteau First 38’s hull was laid in September 1983 in France. At that time the US$ vs. French France exchange rate soared to over 8 Francs per dollar. From what I have heard there were a lot of US sailors who went directly to the Beneteau factory and ordered sailboats at that time. The boats were sailed across the Atlantic to their homes here in the USA.

Not sure how many First 38’s were manufactured but our hull number is #178. Learned last year that hull number #179 is still loved and sailed in San Francisco and found that hull #175 (also loved and sailed) is in the same marina/yacht yard where we are here in Chicago.

Amazing!

Doug in Lakeview
1984 Beneteau First 38 – Hull #178
Belmont Harbor – Chicago

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
They're now built about an hour from me in Marion, SC. I haven't visited the plant but would love to.

Feb 16, 2014
Beneteau 38 Irvington, VA
Consider mine a close cousin then. The plate says First 38 but mine is the Moorings 39 variant built for charter. Slightly different dimensions and accoutrements, and clearly a different hull number structure, but built only a month after yours, also in France.

Sep 30, 2017
Beneteau Beneteau First 38.5 1983 Miami Florida
Our 1984 Beneteau First 38’s hull was laid in September 1983 in France. At that time the US$ vs. French France exchange rate soared to over 8 Francs per dollar. From what I have heard there were a lot of US sailors who went directly to the Beneteau factory and ordered sailboats at that time. The boats were sailed across the Atlantic to their homes here in the USA.

Not sure how many First 38’s were manufactured but our hull number is #178. Learned last year that hull number #179 is still loved and sailed in San Francisco and found that hull #175 (also loved and sailed) is in the same marina/yacht yard where we are here in Chicago.

Amazing!

Doug in Lakeview
1984 Beneteau First 38 – Hull #178
Belmont Harbor – Chicago
Hello! Since you have a Beneteau First 38 1984, I am hoping your boat might be wired the same as mine, as I am desperately looking for a wiring diagram for my Perkins 4108M marine engine s/n 37112990/1 mounted on a 1983 Beneteau First 38.5 Hull #672955 made in Hilaire de Riez France.

If you don't have the info any pointers to where I can get this information is welcome.
Best Regards,
Oscar G. Duarte
Miami Florida

Sep 30, 2017
That is not the serial number it is a casting number for the block. The 4108 usually starts with the letter "A" to designate the the engine family or type. Here is a link to help find the Perkins serial number.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2009/11/perkins-engine-serial-number-information/

Here is the Perkins 4108 wiring diagram.
View attachment 141394
Thank you for your fast reply. I have the diagram you sent and it's not the one for my boat. I don't have a stop button, starter is a Lucas. I have a Field light indicator from the alternator in the Captains panel. I do have three large switches (Neg-Eng-House) above the engine compartment.
My exact problem is that the lug on the starter motor's solenoid does not get 12VDC when the Start button on the Captains panel is pressed. There are 12VDC on one side of the Start button but I don't know were it goes from there before it gets to the solenoid (Starter). There are two relays in back of the Captains panel and they don't seem to pick up when the Star button is pressed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
OK.
As You stated, when you turn on the engine (suspect a key) you have 12voltDC measured on one side of the switch. When you press the start switch nothing happens.
  1. Suspect the switch or the contacts of the switch.
  2. Suspect the ground on the starter.
  3. Suspect the suspect the ground connection of the starter solenoid.
I believe I heard that the French did a reverse wiring approach switching ground on their boats. (reference your "Neg-Eng-House switch)
My exact problem is that the lug on the starter motor's solenoid does not get 12VDC when the Start button on the Captains panel is pressed.
That is where I would focus. Affirm that the Start Button is working properly. When pressed look for 12VDC on both contacts. Next the wiring between the button and the solenoid. Then the contacts on the solenoid. Then ground on the solenoid.

Only way to know is to inspect the wiring..

Sep 30, 2017
OK.
As You stated, when you turn on the engine (suspect a key) you have 12voltDC measured on one side of the switch. When you press the start switch nothing happens.
  1. Suspect the switch or the contacts of the switch.
  2. Suspect the ground on the starter.
  3. Suspect the suspect the ground connection of the starter solenoid.
I believe I heard that the French did a reverse wiring approach switching ground on their boats. (reference your "Neg-Eng-House switch)

That is where I would focus. Affirm that the Start Button is working properly. When pressed look for 12VDC on both contacts. Next the wiring between the button and the solenoid. Then the contacts on the solenoid. Then ground on the solenoid.

Only way to know is to inspect the wiring..
Thank you again! All you've suggested has been done. My electrical and electronics knowledge is up to par, as I used to repair IBM mainframes when I was younger, that's why I am looking for the correct wiring diagram instead of guessing.

Oct 22, 2014
Understand. It is my assumption that first contact is usually with someone new to boat electricity, not an electrical engineer.
I have been working on my 1974 boat with no formal electrical records. It is all old school draw your own diagram then try to figure what they did in 1974. Then there are the previous owners and the MBW's who did things to get results with out recording their actions.
I rewired the connections of my alternator and starter to the current best practice for these systems as shown by MaineSail. The diagram I provided.
  1. Starter straight to the starter battery.
  2. Alternator straight to the house battery.
  3. Starter Battery charged using a a BlueSea Automatic Charging Relay.
Typical of ways the systems can be comprised are connection corrosion, wire chafe shorts, and ground wire faulty connections. Solve these and problems often disappear.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Consider mine a close cousin then. The plate says First 38 but mine is the Moorings 39 variant built for charter. Slightly different dimensions and accoutrements, and clearly a different hull number structure, but built only a month after yours, also in France.
Our honeymoon was on a Moorings 39, back in 1984. Had a great sailing week. The two of us could handle it with ease

Les

May 20, 2016
One tool to help find where those pesky wires go (or where there is a terrible connection is a “fox and hound” or tone. You only need to be within 2’ of the wire to hear where it is going. ~$20 at Amazon.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
Telephone repair and low voltage folks used them all the time. Makes sense in a boat. I even have one for identifying home wiring when there is no diagram. Plug it into an outlet then go to the fuse box and id the fuse for that plug.

May 20, 2016
the one good thing about them is they only need one wire and it can be open ended.