it's a big sky

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
You see cell phone video all the time. How come we don't see UFO videos any more?

But then again, I think that the planet is a galactic nature preserve until the natives gain intelligence. Which seems unlikely lately.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
northern lights, fire balls, B1B, C5A, F18's practicing dog fighting, B52 that used us as a practice target (bombbay doors were opened up), good year blimp, snowey owl,
i have seen

Last edited:

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey.

One of my favorite things about the long distance races are the night watches. Over the years I have been treated to some spectacularly clear night sky viewings. Out in the ocean, no light pollution, and you can see the milky way from horizon to horizon. Back in high school I had a small telescope and I learned most of the constellations, names or stars, galaxies, star clusters, etc. Being on a boat at night allows you to see, actually see so many of them. Occasionally you will see a 'shooting star' which is always cool.

Barry

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Me too re sky offshore. There are so many stars it was hard to pick out the familiar ones. My Dad tried to teach me the constellations when I was young to no avail. I wished he was with me those nights off shore with those same lessons. What a difference 50 years makes.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm so excited with Saturn and Jupiter coming into conjunction this month.
I haven't see that since I was a wee lad in Greece, many years ago.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
On a more serious note, coming south in 2011, between Bermuda and St.T, my wife and I saw a star go super nova one evening. I was looking at it when the star got so bright it completely blocked out the light from all the stars around it, then it slowly faded away to nothingness. We logged the date, time and quadrant and sure enough when we got to St.T, we looked it up on the web and that was exactly what we saw.
I've had meteorites land close enough to see the steam, etc, but the super nova was the most spectacular astronomical event I've ever seen.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
In winter 2007 aboard Paloma, our 1979 O'Day 30, on our first cruise we were anchored with four other boats near Panther Key off SW Florida. I was anxious about our anchor being securely set, so I did not sleep soundly. About 0230 I poked my head our of the hatch to look around. I was so dazzled by the zillions of stars I could see that I woke Eileen so she could enjoy the sight. We brought the "star gazer wheel" on deck to help identify some extra constellations, but we couldn't make any sense of the wheel in the dark! We both mention that starry vision from time to time.

A second never-to-be-forgotten sight while aboard Paloma was a launch from Cape Canaveral (sp?). We viewed it at night while at anchor in the protected waters of Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa.