items left in boat for extended time

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi
I have an 272 le and found another one on line that has been on the hard for 3 years *87) the owner got sick. It hasn't been covered. A main question is that the cushions and sails have be left on the boat stored and covered, but on the boat. After three years with winters and summers are they most likely shot (moldy) After fixing my boat I know the 272 more intimately than I would like and thought I could make a little money fixing up another one to sell If the sails and cushions are history that would kill the deal. any thoughts appreciated
Pauld the Beam

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

That's impossible to answer without seeing the boat. If the boat was covered and VENTED, then everything could be fine. If covered and not vented I bet it's been humid and hot during the summer.

You will need to get on board in order to know. I'm sure the sails are fine - mold / mildew looks ugly but I don't think it affects dacron. The cushions are another story.

Barry

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
My experience is that decks, portlights, hatches, and such leak. Bottoms do not(packing gland exception). The result is a boat full of water .
Making money fixing up a boat is an oxymoron in my book.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
the only thing i see in making money in fixing up a boat is if you have a service and can charge for it to some one elses boat ...in fixing up your own boat all you are doing is putting your money in one spot ...the water....

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Is this sort of like: "How do you make a million dollars in the marine industry? - Start with 5 million dollars!" :D:D:D

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi
I have an 272 le and found another one on line that has been on the hard for 3 years *87) the owner got sick. It hasn't been covered. A main question is that the cushions and sails have be left on the boat stored and covered, but on the boat. After three years with winters and summers are they most likely shot (moldy) After fixing my boat I know the 272 more intimately than I would like and thought I could make a little money fixing up another one to sell If the sails and cushions are history that would kill the deal. any thoughts appreciated
Pauld the Beam
thanks for the advise guys, letting go of the idea and sticking with taking care of my own boat