Issue with Jabsco Toiletl

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On my W-C, the head piece at the end of the “piston rod” broke off having rusted through. So, I had to install a new plunger/piston. Otherwise, no problems.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To avoid confusion it is best to use proper terminology. Semantics don't float my boat.. my experience with Jabsco heads is that they are an utilitarian fixture that serve their purpose but leak like sifts. Production boat manufacturers install them because they are lower priced. Don't know of any sailor that has not owned one at some point.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I assume you mean sieves? Mine has never leaked. Granted, I've only had this boat for two years, and the sailing season is short; but it's dry as a bone outside. I seem to have good luck with these things.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My Hunter 31 had a manual Jabsco head and it did not leak. My Hunter 386 had an electric Jabsco and experienced a leak from the pump after 14 years. I immediately replaced the pump and that mitigated the leak. My Hunter 46 has 2 electric Jabsco heads that are 15 years old that have not leaked yet.

Miken

Nov 7, 2018
Hunter 280 Whitby
Just an update. Tried the suggestions and unfortunately they did not work.
1. Had the tank pumped out and ran a snake thru the hose to the tank and there is no blockage.
2. Checked the screw tension on the pump assembly. I tried loosening them as suggested. This did not seem to make a difference.
The water is still leaking in the same place at the rear of where the assembly mounts to the toilet base with four screws when I use the pump handle to get the water out of the toilet.
I may have damage the gasket that goes into the waste. It looks OK but I will try using some silicon on the gasket to seal it better. If that doesn’t work I’m out of options.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Consider purchasing a service kit and replace the critical parts, which is what I did for my manual head. Plan to purchase a service kit for my electric heads as preventative maintenance.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
at the rear of where the assembly mounts to the toilet base with four screws
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, do you mean it leaks at the rear where gasket "16" is located?

I am interested in this since I have the same toilet, and I have a spare pump assembly on board, and I may have to change it some day.

First, are you sure it's the base pump gasket that's leaking? Could it be the discharge elbow/joker valve joint? Or, could you have cracked the base plastic, or pump housing by over-tightening the four scews?

See this video:

Jabsco - How To Replace Manual Toilet Pump Assembly

Miken

Nov 7, 2018
Hunter 280 Whitby
Yes it’s # 16 and it’s the one leaking. It just leaks out the back of the gasket housing. I don’t think it’s the discharge elbow/joker valve joint as it looks fine. This is a new pump assembly I installed.
I did not have a look for a crack in the base pump gasket housing, but I will next visit.
Thanks for the help

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You are welcome. I hope the solution to this is cheap and easy.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My pet conspiracy theory is that Jabsco GIVES the heads to the major builders at zero cost... and they make all their money on spare parts. I own one, I get it. But any part of my boat where I have to worry about a mission critical system failing because a wood screw was turned too tightly into plastic gives me heartburn.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It would be really interesting to get the real frequency of repair, cost of repair data on the major brands of marine heads: Raritan, Groco, Jabsco, Dometic, Johnson Pumps, TMC, et.al. Jabsco is popular because it's inexpensive. So, one's bound to hear more about Jabsco issues, since there are so many more of them out there than other less popular brands. The fallacy of anecdotal evidence, and all of that.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
For the price of 3 replacement Jabsco pumps, you could have the top rated manual toilet that'll provide at least 20 years of reliable trouble-free service if you just keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve annually and put a $60 rebuild kit in it every 5-6 years. Raritan PH SuperFlush
--Peggie

Miken

Nov 7, 2018
Hunter 280 Whitby
I have sort of solved the leak issue. When I took the pump replacement unit back to where I bought it I noticed, upon removing, one of the screws at the elbow joint was slightly loose. The dealer said there was nothing wrong with the unit and no cracks were present. So, I tightened the screw, siliconed the crap out of all connections and re-installed it. It still leaks, but not a lot, so I can live with that. I believe my initial mistake, because the assembled unit was very difficult to install in one piece, was disconnecting the waste elbow joint and then trying to re- assemble it after the pump assembly was installed. It was always on a slight angle and I had to force it into place. Did this numerous times. I might remove the entire toilet when it’s dry docked.

I just want to thank everyone with their helpful suggestions and recommendations.

Mike

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It was always on a slight angle
Sounds like there is too much Discharge hose length or curve.

The smaller water hoses have more flex.
____
I have replaced that pump unit, and it is a Royal pain since the hoses and the base screws are not in a good location.

Thanks for reporting back.
Jim...