Isotherm Thermostat Issue

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Recently installed Isotherm refrigeration conversion kit. This kit has the self pumping thru-hull and a simple thermostat with the probe fastened to the bottom of the small "O" evaporator. The evaporator has the optional door installed and is mounted horizontally at the top of the box. With the thermostat set to max cool I get 22F inside the freezer and 44F in the box. The compressor cycles apparently normally running about 1/3 of the time. It appears to me that the thermostat is defective because it should achieve much lower temperatures when set to max. Factory advised me move the probe from the bottom of the evaporator to the top which is only 3" higher than its current location. I am skeptical. Anyone else have similar issues or more experience in this area?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we have a 2005 factory OEM isotherm refrig unit, AC only, with no seawater cooling. check the filter on your sea water line, if the water flow is reduced it will affect cooling efficiency. if it's clean, IMHO you have a defective thermostat. 44 degrees is not a safe temperature for refrigerated foods.. 'move the probe ' to the top may have some effect, since warm air rises and cold air is at the bottom of the evaporator where the probe is (although it's worth a try. ) I have previously dealt with isotemp. I find that some of their 'tech reps' really are not 'technically competent ' to answer questions about how their devices function and why their devices malfunction. Tech reps prefer instead to blame the user for failing to foresee instructions and procedures which Isotemp/ Isotherm failed to include in their install manuals.