Isotherm Hot Water Heaters?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
does anyone own a Isotherm Hot Water heater and how do you rate it .....for that matter anyone have input on this brand....

regards

woody

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I know this much, after replacing three heaters in 20 years, doing an autopsy on the last one, researching Isotherm, inspecting it at the boat show and talking to the company rep, and finding they had a new 'Slimline' series which would fit the old footprint well enough, next time I'll spend the double money and buy one.

PS: for me to spend double money is a big deal...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
IMHO none better for the marine market. You get what you pay for and you get a lot with an Isotemp..

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I put one in my boat 2 seasons ago and love it. I believe it will outlast the boat!

There is a dealer in Brunswick Maine and they are awesome.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I with the rest of you on the Isotherm. We have one of their SP refrigeration units and feel that it is extremely good quality. It has been running 24 x 7 for over 3 years. No noise, no heat inside the boat and it works well (very well).

I will also be replacing my current heater with one (hopefully prior to it leaking.

Jun 1, 2004
Kelly Peterson KP44 San Diego
Had a brand new one that blew out the gasket on the element. Did this twice, and sprayed water around my equipment area. Contacted Isotherm and found out they had a manufacturing issue with the element flange lip. The quickly sent me a new replacement element flange, t-stat, element and gasket. So although it was a bit dissappointing to have a brand new (expensive) piece of equipment fail, thier customer service was very good.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
sorry but not a big fan. Had a raritan in the boat for 18 years then installed an Isotemp, lasted about 5 years and started leaking but the leak was under the blown in insulation probably at a brazed joint. Replaced with another Raritan because Peggy recommends them and my original experience. A little more expensive. I may not have winterized my Isotemp properly contributing to the problem. but without a full destructive failure analysis I'll never know.

Feb 6, 1998
sorry but not a big fan. Had a raritan in the boat for 18 years then installed an Isotemp, lasted about 5 years and started leaking but the leak was under the blown in insulation probably at a brazed joint. Replaced with another Raritan because Peggy recommends them and my original experience. A little more expensive. I may not have winterized my Isotemp properly contributing to the problem. but without a full destructive failure analysis I'll never know.
Blown in insulation? It is closed cell and the entire tank is SS so would be welded. Even the nipples are SS.

All water heaters have the potential to leak. Having been a rep for a number of water heater manufacturers the LAST product I would ever install in my boat would be a glass lined steel tank. If I had a $1.00 for every RMA I processed on glass lined tanks I would own a Morris.;) I have pulled out a number of Raritan's, two on my own boats, that you could poke your finger right through the pressure vessel. There were two Raritan's in the dumpster at RRBY just within the last few weeks..:doh:I have seen some last but that is not the norm in my experience. Boats are humid & wet and steel rusts. Just because they hide the steel pressure vessel inside a plastic jacket does not mean the tank does not rot..

An improper winterizing could kill any tank..;)

I can't blame Peggy for recommending the Raritan she used to work for them if I am not mistaken. The only other tanks I would consider would be the Super Stor or the new Volvo tanks.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Don't want to get in the middle

MaineSail,
I don't want to get in the middle of your personal feud with Peggy. I went with my own experience with my original Raritan that lasted a really long time. I double checked my information and made a mistake it was a Super Stor water heater that failed, I looks just like a Raritan but was a little smaller in diameter so it fit through my cockpit lazarette hatch without modification. Putting in the new Raritan I had to trim the bottom flange a bit to get it in the boat. Time will tell but while we wait for the empirical results of this experiment please take it easy on Peggy. She is a lot prettier than you are so I am sure whose side I will take if painted into a corner. Plus I have her book proudly on display in my cabin for guests to read.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Great,

Now you guys post this. Last week I noticed my hot water heater (some brand I never heard of that went out of business 5 years ago) and Monday I ordered a Kuuma replacement.

I don't use hot water often, but it's nice to have. The Kuuma was under $250 delivered, so the price was right, but I don't want to have to replace in a few years.

Barry

Feb 6, 1998
MaineSail,
I don't want to get in the middle of your personal feud with Peggy. I went with my own experience with my original Raritan that lasted a really long time. I double checked my information and made a mistake it was a Super Stor water heater that failed, I looks just like a Raritan but was a little smaller in diameter so it fit through my cockpit lazarette hatch without modification. Putting in the new Raritan I had to trim the bottom flange a bit to get it in the boat. Time will tell but while we wait for the empirical results of this experiment please take it easy on Peggy. She is a lot prettier than you are so I am sure whose side I will take if painted into a corner. Plus I have her book proudly on display in my cabin for guests to read.
I have no beef with Peggy and in fact agree with 99% of what she has to say and have her book too. The 1% I disagree on is on glass lined steel tanks on boats as I have seen far to many rot out...;)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Feud???

Disagreement with my choice of equipment is a feud???

I know what I'd buy, but it's his boat, not mine...his money, not mine...but fwiw, ANYthing can fail if it's abused and or neglected.

That said...it's YOUR boat and YOUR money...not mine...or his!

Come to think of it...how did I end up in this conversation anyhow????

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Disagreement with my choice of equipment is a feud???

I know what I'd buy, but it's his boat, not mine...his money, not mine...but fwiw, ANYthing can fail if it's abused and or neglected.

That said...it's YOUR boat and YOUR money...not mine...or his!

Come to think of it...how did I end up in this conversation anyhow????

hummmmmmmmmm full moon huh:stirthepot: ;)

regards

woody

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Let's Settle This

How about we run an experiment. You get one of each, stick it in a salt fog chamber at elevated temperature and then you set up two chairs with a cooler of beer next to each one. Sit in the chairs and start drinking the beer. In about a month you get up, cut them apart and see what they look like. May the best water heater win.

Status
Not open for further replies.