ISO Hill range alcohol stove model 2101 manual

Jun 7, 2021
gulf islander 29 sloop ssi
Hi, we recently got an old but hardly used hill range model 2101 pressurised alcohol stove. We didn’t get the manual for it though and we would like to find a copy to aid our install and understanding of the stove and how it works as we have never used an alcohol stove before. Anyone have this manual or know where to find my google search isn’t going well. Many thanks for any tips, and help.

Jun 7, 2021
Hi thank you, I did find this manual already but thank you so much :) it’s only 2 pages. I am struggling to find any more details. And yes I’ve been reading conflicting reports on using these pressurised stoves! :/ perhaps I should spring for the much more expensive propane stoves instead. Hmm too many options!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
All fuels have their issues. Pressure alcohol often burns with a hard to see flame and the stove may leak and the leaks catch fire.

Kerosene and diesel are safer, but they are smelly and can smoke and create a lot of CO.

Propane is a good fuel, readily available, but it is heavier than air and can build up in the bilge and explode. Needs a good safe storage and supply system.

CNG is safer as it is lighter than air, but it does not have the same heat value as propane, the tanks are under a lot of pressure, the tanks need refilling and it is nearly impossible to find an affordable place to refill them.

Which ever fuel you chose, get a fire blanket and keep it near the galley. It is better for putting out cooking fires than a fire extinguisher.

Jun 7, 2021
yes I like the fact that alcohol fire can be put out with water! So that’s great and I’ve invested in a fire extinguisher and blanket already and will actually do lots of practice with lighting the stove before we install it inside the boat so hoping to be very familiar with it before it’s inside the galley! Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the info and advice. Glad I found this website!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...yes I like the fact that alcohol fire can be put out with water! ...
I'm not a fireman or expert at putting out fires but throwing water on an alcohol fire might spread it. I had a situation in a non marine application to try to put an alcohol fire out by throwing water on it. The water splashed one concise fire into many points of fire spread out making it much harder to smother. I'd go with the fire blanket.
It can be a little sporty lighting those stoves. Make sure the valves are in good shape or new. If they don't close all the way you can have a bad day.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm not a fireman or expert at putting out fires but throwing water on an alcohol fire might spread it. I had a situation in a non marine application to try to put an alcohol fire out by throwing water on it. The water splashed one concise fire into many points of fire spread out making it much harder to smother. I'd go with the fire blanket.
It can be a little sporty lighting those stoves. Make sure the valves are in good shape or new. If they don't close all the way you can have a bad day.
Water on any liquid based fire will cause it to spread. Misting water will dampen the fire, but throwing a bucket of water on an alcohol fire might cause it to spread.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have been using the pressure alcohol stove that came with my 1980 boat for decades. Follow the simple instructions and it will work reasonably well, without drama. The only caution I would add is that you must watch it constantly when using. If the flame goes out, the burner will continue to leak alcohol, first as a vapor and, after cooling, as a liquid. This scenario is most likely to happen when the burner is set very low to simmer as when perking coffee. I would prefer a propane stove but other projects always came first and the alcohol stove does work. In your case, if you are installing a new stove, then I would probably not go back to this technology.

Jun 7, 2021
The price for new marine propane stove is like 1000 bucks and up. I would have preferred propane ideally as well as I’m familiar with it from camping. I have looked for second hand but none close by unfortunately. I got this alcohol stove for 150 ... the boat cost me 4000. Hoping to not break the bank too much on this weekend cruiser. We also have a Dickensian alcohol heater so we don’t want to have too many different fuels on board. I think we are going to go for it after we test it in our garden first and go old school with the alcohol stove :) thanks for tips about the low burn we will be making coffee so this is worth watching the pot for.

do you know how much presure we need to pressurise the tank with ? We didn’t get a manual/handbook with our stove. We have a pressure gage on the tank.

thank you for all the advice and tips !

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The little two page manual says 10 psi. Probably good with 6-10.
it is like the old white gasoline Coleman stoves if you are familiar with those.
the first shot of liquid fuel in the cup heats the “generator “ and in about a minute, the fuel starts to vaporize. As the burner starts burning cleanly, the valve can be slowly opened and then everything starts working.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
The cost of the stove is only the beginning if you elect to go with propane. You must create a safe compartment for the propane tank somewhere. Then there are the lines and valves. I have not been able to envision a tank compartment for my boat. The alcohol tank, on the other hand, may be below deck and is quite small holding maybe a gallon of fuel.