Islander 44 Capstan/Windlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2009
Islander 44 Cutter Newport, OR.
I purchased an Islander 44 (Wind Raven last year and am in the process of refitting and upgrading her for extended Bluewater Cruising. My present dilemma is whether to attempt rebuilding the Nilsson capstan, or purchasing a suitable replacement. The gears and bearings are worn out. I have been considering the Ideal or Lighthouse vertical capstan/windlass brands. I am new to this type of endeavor. My boat being 44’ and 28,000 Lbs, I am confused by the variety of choices and options. Not only of brand vs. price, but of competence and quality. I am more interested in safety and dependability than aesthetics. My current question is, What brand, size (capacity) and construction material is sufficient, without breaking the bank?

Oct 22, 2009
Islander 44 Seattle
Mr Reese,

When you bought your Islander 44, did the previous owner include the plans or any of the original drawings of the boat as to how to finish it off? Most of these were bought as kit boats and some kind of plans should have been supplied. I would be interested in hearing from you to discuss this.

As far as your windlass is concerned, I had to rebuild my Ideal windlass, circa 1964 model, and had no trouble getting parts and assistance from Ideal. They are still in business. It cost me less than $200 for a unit I originally thought was toast. I would suggest you try to get back with the original manufacturer for parts in possible,

Bill Merrick
Seattle

Sep 9, 2009
Islander 44 Cutter Newport, OR.
Ops, I tried to respond to Bill Merrick, but it obviously did'nt work. It just repeated my original post. I don't know how to delete it, so I'll try again.
The only paperwork supplied, other than title & documentation, was a previous survey report. If this was a kit boat, the owner hired an excellent craftsman to do the teak interior. The only inferior workmanship is in the v-berth where a new hatch was installed along with upper trim.
Unfortunately, my windlass was beyond repair. I ended up buying a Maxwell 2200vcw. I am now considering the purchase of a Manson Supreme to compliment my 65Lb CQR.

Status
Not open for further replies.