Islander 32'

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2009
2 26 mystic
Does anyone know anything about these boats. We found one - sitting for 2 years...looks like cosmetic issues only. owners too old to sail the boat. Would like to know how she sails? Durability?

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Do you know the year? There is a Mark II and an old CCAish Mark I. Very different critters.

--Tom.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Oh... I think that's the mark II then... It must have been one of the first of them. Assuming it's a mark II (a modernish looking design with a fin keel and IOR style bow) then they are nice boats with a reputation for being good sailors particularly upwind. They were never really a racing boat, but they show some IOR influence -- a little bustle, a vestigial skeg, and the IOR water plane. They're very similar in build quality to the CALs and Erikson's of the time. Check out the plywood decks for delamination. Look for rot in the bulkheads especially where the chain plates are. Many boats of the time had blistering issues. Since its an early boat it may have an Atomic 4 or a diesel. If the later it may be original or added later. Certainly it is an older boat and it needs a good survey, but when new I think they were better than average examples of the club racer/cruiser type.

They're a Perry design and he has a consulting service if you want to get his thoughts on the design. You should be able to find some comps on yachtworld.com.

--Tom.

May 7, 2009
2 26 mystic
We crawled all over this boat today - not much in the way of structural issues...some leakage from the mast - expected. some moisture accumulated some time ago on headliner - port side above chain plate. Interior teak condition - excellent...no wet spots otherwise below, no crazing, cracking...need to reglass rudder. having a friend who is a surveyor check her out - otherwise - we have made an offer on the boat. Looking forward to the project.
jq

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Neat!

Moisture near the chain plates needs to be looked at. You may want to pull some of the bolts to make sure they haven't wasted. You can do them one at a time while the rig is up. Ideally you'd look at the plates, too as they can look lovely on the outside and be in horrible shape where they've been against wet plywood. But if the bolts are ok, the plates are probably ok. Anyway, I wouldn't panic over it as plates aren't that hard to replace but mention it to your surveyor and get his opinion.

What's up with the rudder?

Oh, did you see "sailingDogs" post on pre-survey inspections? He makes some good points.

--Tom.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Islanders had problems with the mast step in the keel area. Moisture through the years deteriorated that so that it caved in. Was a problem with any of them, it seemed so that even the deck on deck stepped models began to sag. There was an aluminum compression post incorporated with a counter inside that also was pushed out of shape. Take moisture readings around the deck at fittings such as chain plates, track, LL stanchions, etc. Islanders are good boats and sail well. Good luck.

May 7, 2009
2 26 mystic
We did rebed chain plates - seemed definitely to be a spot where moisture was getting in...now you have me worried about the mast business though. We are having boat surveyed in next 10 days, so all will be revealed. Some concern about cracking in gelcoat down center of transom. Thought it might be backstay tension, but it is split backstay...not sure of issue.

Nov 30, 2009
Islander 32 - MKII Deltaville VA
I have an 1978 Islander 32-MK II and I noticed the crack in the transome in the midline. It was just the gelcoat and after I refinished it with gelcoat when I repainted it about 12 years ago and it hasn't returned. No problems with my keel stepped mast. Slight leaks at the chainplates but I'm resealing the through deck there and I think the problem will be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.