Islander 32 McGlasson Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2006
- - San Francisco
Any older Islander 32 owners out there? This is the McGlasson Design Wayfarer Yacht version with the full keel and really thick fiberglass hull. (1963 to 1968) I am restoring one and could use some feedback on sailing characteristics from someone who is sailing one regularly. I am particularly interested in the rudder configuration and how that performs. I saw one in New Zeland with the standard rudder removed and a spade rudder placed farther back.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have an Islander 30 1968 full keel

attached rudder, propeller aperture. She sails well, balances nicely, tacks smartly, and stays on her feet when the wind blows. She is initially a bit tender but stiffens up at about 10-12 degrees. A freind who has sailed her said that in his O'Day he would have reefed but he was comfortable with the Islander. I also restored this boat. I bought her because I liked the shape.

G

Gerry

1966 32

I have sailed my 32 islander for about 5 years. I am a fair sailor not great so take this with a grain of salt. I beleive you are sailing on a great boat as it is. Why would anyone would want to screw up the rudder is beyond me. Maybe that boat in NZ was owned by a racing nut then maybe it would help,maybe not, maybe the rudder was damaged and this was the easiest repair. The 32 is a cruiser for purpose the rudder is ideal as it is. A better sailer could tell you about drag, trim, balance, etc. Having the rudder post end in the keel gives it a lot of strength and keeps the rudder from catching on things like lobester bouy's and anchor lines or anything else to be tangled with. As for sailing she is great, she likes a lot of wind, I don't have to reef as quickly as most boat of this size,she can take a lot of wind,but I do it any it takes so much weather helm to stay close to wind you can reef and you can your boat speed. 6 ft. seas are almost the norm on Buzzards Bay thes are no problem the boat is verry stable it a tough boat that is faster than most would think. I am looking for a bigger boat. The thing that kills me is any boat I may get will be newer longer more cabin space, I just don't expect to sail as well. You have a great boat good luck with it.( I would race a 32 mark II any day if the wind was over 10 kts) Gerry Warlock 1966 Islander 32

Status
Not open for further replies.