Islander 28 - Antenna Cable location

Sep 13, 2023
Islander 28 Long Beach
I just recently purchase an 1977 Islander 28 - I added a VHF Radio and an antenna off the aft rail for a trip from Dana Point to Los Angeles.
The boat does have an antenna on the top of the mast, but I cant find the coax. I've checked where the wires come out of the compression post, but cant find the coax.
There is no side plate I can remove on the mast to check inside the mast.
Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance
Yak

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The case of the invisible coax…

Assuming you haven’t confused a mysterious white cable as something other than “marine” coax, can you see what if anything is connected to the antenna base?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Yak,.
I do not have an Islander. If you can help with a picture we may be able to help.

Look at the mast base. There may be a cable out let there that plugs into a fitting on the deck. If the cable comes down the mast and through the compression post we need a picture of the cables. Was there a radio before your installed the new one? You could follow the cable from the radio to the mast.

Various cable tiles have been used on boats.
Black is typical
1696704246579.jpeg
1696704286986.jpeg

But some owners have installed colored cables. There are a smorgasbord of options I am afraid
1696704496502.png

Sep 13, 2023
Islander 28 Long Beach
I finally found the antenna coax - it was under the headliner near the back wall of the head.
I tested the connector with an antenna analyzer and found the connector was faulty - took it apart, cleaned and re-soldered. Tested again working perfectly, with a 1.2 to 1.5 match on all marine frequencies. Ran an extension to the radio, all is good.

Thank you to all for your responses

Yak