Is wood good?

• Thread starter SailboatOwners.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Metzel

Wood is good

Wood is essential for skippers and crew who like to mess around in boats.

B

Bob Todd

Bah to wood...

When I'm at the boat, I want to go sailing, not refinish wood! I am in the process of changing all of my exterior wood to synthetic materials. There's enough to maintaining a boat without adding this chore to the list. If refinishing wood is what you like to do, then I'll be waving when I pass you in the marina on my way out for a nice sail. Cheers, Bob

S

Scott

The Difference...

Ah, slick, gleaming white fiberglass, shining chrome, the roar of the engine... oops... this is about Sailboats, isn't it? One of the (many) things I dislike about powerboaters is the lack of effort/respect they show their boats. They show up, jump in, fire up and go. When they come back they dump their cooler, lock up and leave. The teak on the outside of a sailboat has always represented the difference between "us and them" to me. It is kinda saying "this is more than just a disposable toy".

C

CaptEdTeach

Who Varnishes

I like having wood trim and such on the monos but I prefer the soft look of oiled wood over varnish. Besides if you spill a bottle of teak oil on deck it's a lot easier to clean up Capt Teach

M

Mike Bartie

Wood is Good, BUT - How much time do you have?

We (my wife Elaine & I) have a 1985 MacGregor 25, which we picked up about 2 years ago. Obviously, it's a plastic blow boat with wooden hatch rails (4) and a wooden tiller. That sentence may have a "citrus flavor" to it but, in reality, we bought the Mac so we could "get on the water". We also have a 22' Michigan Bay Weekender (mid '70s). It's "all wood" and had been out of the water for a couple of years when we picked it up at a yard sale. It's a lot of work and if you're not inclined to spend the time doing "how to research", buying and (actually) reading books, and the work itself then, the less wood the better. To say nothing about the tools required to do the job right. However, I just can't give up on the Michigan Bay. It has such "classic" lines, I really love it. It has a "well" for the outboard, so you can't see it (people think it has an inboard), and I'm even making a "Ships Wheel" to install on it (can't find an appropriate size - or afford one). It's kind of like having a TR3 (which we do) or and 18' Old Town canvas over wood canoe (which we do). BUT, that doesn't mean that "glass" boats don't have classic iines also. The Mac has smoothe, "soft" lines to it. Even in the side yard (which is where it is this year) it looks "ready to go", and it really is smoothe on the water. Back to the topic. There "always" seems to be something that needs attention on a wooden boat, and just finding "finishes" that last more than a season is a time and $ consuming effort. Then there's caulking and top side paints & finishes. We haven't even started on the interiaor yet. Someone, somewhere has probably created a graph or chart which demonstrates that the more wood you have the less sailing time you have. When "push comes to shove" I believer that the final factor is "Personal Choice", and that's what makes the "world go 'round" no matter what the topic of discussion. Thanks for your time. Mike Bartie Pres. CADPRO, Inc. Berlin, NJ 856-768-3718 phone 856-768-3163 Fax www.cadproinc.com www.mossbargerracing.com

S

Steven

wood is bad!

i have heard that wooden boats leak constantly, futhermore, maintenence of wood in or on a boat is also a pain, you have to have a special type, etc. foiberglass and chrome is so much better.

R

Rosalie

Wood is good

I enjoy working on and maintaining the teak on my Catalina 27, and it's a good thing, because there seems to be a good bit of it. I had a Catalina 22 whose wood I wanted to treat with teak oil only, inside and out, but the exterior pieces needed attention too often, so I converted -- I decided from then on that Cetol on the outside and oil on the inside is the answer. Minimal time and attention, and it looks very nice.

D

DICK SCIUTO

" WOOD IS WONDERFUL"

I HAVE OWNED MANY WOODEN BOATS-ie.39' 41' CONCORDIA YAWLS--30' 1909 CATBOAT--YES I HAVE REPLANKED,REFRAMED,REFASTENED,STRPPED PAINT,VARNISHED AND YES LOTS OM MONEY,AND SWEAT AN YES,,,A FEW SWEAR WORDS TOO...BUT THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE FEELING OF A WOODEN IN THE WATER..SURE ITS AN EGO TRIP,,BUT I LOVE THE COMMENTS

J

John New

Wood over SS

I actually enjoy the time I spend caring for the wood trim on my '81 H27; it's one of those rewarding chores where the time you spend on it really shows up. It's not as good as sailing of course, but an afternoon spent sanding and varnishing the brightwork, in the harbor, beer in hand and radio playing, is certainly not a bad one.....why is it that chores that are so onerous onshore are not nearly so bad on a boat? And the traditionalist in me likes the idea of there being at least some exterior wood. And after spending a weekend being bounced around in the wakes of various swinish powerboaters (and actually being spun around by one particular clown...there was little wind and he was WAY too close aboard) I'm as willing to say a bad thing about the stinkpotters as anyone here. But to be fair, there are some classic powerboats in my area which have exterior wood that is immaculately maintained and a joy to look at.

J

Janet Ory

Wood IS GOOD!

Many people complain about the time it takes to keep wood looking good. If a person takes the time to do it correctly and not skimp on the initial restoration of the wood, it does not take that much time to keep it up. If you like to varnish, then seal it well, don't expect 1 coat to do the job. If you like to use oil, then keep it oiled. Oiling takes a lot of less time, but the varnish (whether glossy or satin) will keep for years. I have had up to 6 years of life on using the "Interlux Rubbed Effect" Varnish. They now have a different name, but it is wonderful and I don't mind doing it every 6 years where the oiling you have to do between 6 months and 1 year. My wood looks clean, neat, durable and very attractive!

E

Erin

A little wood is good

We bought an 84 Catalina 36 because it has a little teak on the outside, which looks nice now that my father in law (bless him) did the sanding and varnishing for us! He's a former sail boat owner who really likes to just hang out on our boat... with sandpaper in hand! We also liked the older Catalina because down below was TEAK TEAK TEAK! Like most of us, we'd rather sail than varnish...

B

Bill

Not one fiber of celluose

Having an office above a marina on Seattle's Lake Union I'm always watching folks out on their boats with scrapers, strippers (not the kind that take their clothes off) and palm sanders and it became very clear what I did not want to be doing aboard my boat once I get it.

J

Jerry Schrock

Glass is hard work too

I just finished a very hot weekend removing the oxidation and refinishing my fiberglass hull. I spent less time and much less sweat redoing the wood trim on my 91 Catalina 28. I think it is a tossup in effort and I like a good wood TRIM and a nice shiny fiberglass hull and deck.

J

John Dorowski

Warm Wood

In response to the quick quiz on wood, there is nothing more appealing on a cruising vessel than the added warmth of varnished teak. If you're a serious racer (not a part timer) than wood may not be suitable for you. As small a boat as the 222 is, it has an ample amount in toe-rail, compainway slides, grab rails, compainway hatches and tiller. If it were practical, I'd add cover boards over the coamings. The interior has teak stairs, teak veneered bulkheads with teak trim, teak trim around the edges, and teak storage shelves outboard of the port and starboard settees. All in an rubbed oil finish. Living in the Florida sun, requires a light touch-up about 4 times a year or so. Good quaility varnish products, such as Epifanes makes the job easier, as well as producing a wonderful appearance. It also has great UV inhibitors. The job is only a little tougher and very time consuming if the wood has been severely neglected, and needs to be sanded to bare, scrubbed with clorox, and the application started from scratch. In our sun, the initial application is 8-10 coats. But after that, a light scuff, and two coats every 3-6 months will have other slip-mates ogling the beauty of your care. Polish those stanchions and bow pulpits while you're at it.

J

Jeff

The Right Amount

After 10 years of the amount of exterior wood on an Oday 272, the toe rails where a pain, our new 322 has the right amount of rails and trim. Have used Cetol for years and with the right preperation and at least 3 coats looks great for at least a year and can be touched up the next year...

S

stefan oetter

no wood!

No thanks! I'd rather be sailing than maintaining!

R

roger marshutz

wood

My last 2 boats had lots of wood. My current boat a Catalina 310 has no wood except the hatch boards. Guess what I love it.

C

Captjim24@Hotmail.com

The Beauty of Wood

There is no question that the beauty and grace of varnished wood (brightwork) is a delight to look at. Personally, I love brightwork on someone elses boat, not mine. I prefer to spend my time sailing my Contender 24 and my SS23 Alberg. I have primed and painted all of the teak (coaming etc) white...and it has lasted over 3 years....still in perfect condition. Beautiful teak brightwork is great to look at on someone else's boat......I'd rather be sailing on a sunny day. I'd prefer to impress you with my handicap......not my appearance. Jim

G

Gloria

Hate exterior wood

In 1995 our friends took delivery of a MKII 1995 Catalina 36 with virtually no exterior wood trim. I thought that was the ugliest sailboat I had ever seen. Then 2 years ago, I was sweating and swearing trying to strip the varnish off our Cheribini designed Hunter 37 Cutter. The previous owner didn't think there was enough exterior teak, so he'd added more. I wiped the sweat off my face and told my husband I'd heard a rumor that the Catalina 36 was coming up for sale and begged him to call, make an offer, do whatever it took. We own that '36 now and I dearly love not having to worry about the exterior teak, and there's plenty inside so the boat looks "warm." Pura Vida, Gloria

Status
Not open for further replies.