Is this Y-33 worth restoring?

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
HI all,

This is probably the only group I could find active threads about the Yamaha 33, hopefully I could get insights from you guys with the 33.

Recently a friend of mine wants to get rid of his Y33 due to extensive leaking, having inspected the boat myself I'm on the edge whether to take it and restore it or let the guy scrap it.

My concren is not the leakage itself which I can definitely get to the bottom of it since they are only usual leakage from the gap between lens and hull. The big leakage was caused from the broken hatch which as you could imagine, when it rains it fills! But due to the flooding to the saloon, all wooden partitions are rotten. Therefore my concern would be whether I could do away with all interior partitionings as I'm afraid the ones going from top to bottom could be structural. If they are not then I could really change the interior layout since the head can be relocated.

The hull itself is not leaking so the integrity of the boat should be sound.

Thank you in advance for your advices and comments.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
That is a huge project. Love the Yammie, but the most expensive boat ever is a free one. That said, it can be done. You can PM me with your phone number if you want to chat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Only you can answer that question.
Do you want to spend the time it will take to put THIS boat back into shape?
Will you have a boat that you want to sail When you are done?

Looking at the interior conditions you will have a year‘s worth of labor and materials to rebuild the interior. The bulkheads are structural. They hold the hull to shape and spread the loads of sailing across the hull shape. Taking them all out will collapse the hull.

Based on your observation:
”The hull itself is not leaking so the integrity of the boat should be sound.”
I will assume sailboat design and structure are a new to you. With the water damage to the bulkheads you can not conclude that the boat is sound. With a damaged boat all parts are suspect till you prove they are not. Why you may ask, when you untie the lines and push the boat away from the dock you are trusting your life and the lives of your crew to the boat.

I am having a bit of confusion reconciling with this statement “On my fifth season of competitive sailing”. Will this boat be used for competition Or is it to be a live aboard?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
What you mean "Restore"? If you want a bristol yacht you'll spend stupid money and time. Check out thread regarding a Mega 30 (@switchingtoglide?) about what it takes in skill, time and money. There are some other threads here that should sober you up.
If you just want a boat to sail it's still a big project. Any smallish in the early 20's could have you on the water in no time and reasonable expense.
Read post #3 and repeat until it sinks in.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I'm glad I'm not you because, for me, seeing a boat like that is like seeing a puppy at the humane society: I just want to take it home and give it a good life. I can understand your temptation.

I'm hesitant to say anything without being able to look more closely, but I don't see anything wood that jumps out at me as structural. Perhaps the one bulkhead between the main salon and the v-berth, but even that I'm doubtful about. I would have a thorough look for wood encased in fiberglass that's rotten. Not that it's necessarily a show-stopper, but it could be.

If you're skilled at cabinetry, or even if it's a skill you want to have, it seems like a good project. The above-deck equipment looks reasonable. Inside it needs to be stripped bare, cleaned, and then completely rebuilt. But if that's the kind of project you're looking for it seems like a good candidate.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I'm hesitant to say anything without being able to look more closely, but I don't see anything wood that jumps out at me as structural. Perhaps the one bulkhead between the main salon and the v-berth, but even that I'm doubtful about. I would have a thorough look for wood encased in fiberglass that's rotten.
The forward bulkhead on the 33 is of veneered plywood and is structural. The longitudinal bulkheads between the settees and pilot berths are structural on the later models but I'm not sure about this one - it appears to be a late '70's standard rig with the engine under the v-berth.

I might have considered such a project at some point in my sordid past, but no no no no no.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
A dock neighbor of mine bought a 37 Irwin three years ago whose interior looked like the one in your post. Deck was just as bad. I knew this boat quite well as it was my friend's and we delivered it from Key Largo to the Fl west coast where it now sits. The boat has not been out under its own power since we brought it here in 2011. They finally started working on her just less than a year ago it will be at least two years before she leaves the dock. Just the $$$ they are going to be shelling out, not to mention the hundreds of hours of labor, they could have bought something similar for under 20K and be on the water sailing instead of being tied to a slip and shelling out even more money on slip rent. Just sayin'.

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
Looking at the interior conditions you will have a year‘s worth of labor and materials to rebuild the interior. The bulkheads are structural. They hold the hull to shape and spread the loads of sailing across the hull shape. Taking them all out will collapse the hull.
I needed this answer, thank you.

I will assume sailboat design and structure are a new to you. With the water damage to the bulkheads you can not conclude that the boat is sound. With a damaged boat all parts are suspect till you prove they are not. Why you may ask, when you untie the lines and push the boat away from the dock you are trusting your life and the lives of your crew to the boat.
Yes this area is new to me, I'll carefully inspect everything should i move ahead in restoring her.

I am having a bit of confusion reconciling with this statement “On my fifth season of competitive sailing”. Will this boat be used for competition Or is it to be a live aboard?
The boat will only be used a weekender at most when done, definitely not going to race with it. I still love my life LOL

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
That is a huge project. Love the Yammie, but the most expensive boat ever is a free one. That said, it can be done. You can PM me with your phone number if you want to chat.
Just PMed you, thank you.

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
What you mean "Restore"? If you want a bristol yacht you'll spend stupid money and time. Check out thread regarding a Mega 30 (@switchingtoglide?) about what it takes in skill, time and money. There are some other threads here that should sober you up.
If you just want a boat to sail it's still a big project. Any smallish in the early 20's could have you on the water in no time and reasonable expense.
Read post #3 and repeat until it sinks in.
My definition of "Restore" in this case is to bring her back to seaworthy condition.

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
If you're skilled at cabinetry, or even if it's a skill you want to have, it seems like a good project. The above-deck equipment looks reasonable. Inside it needs to be stripped bare, cleaned, and then completely rebuilt. But if that's the kind of project you're looking for it seems like a good candidate.
Yes, cabinetry is my expertise. Other than that I'm still learning.

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
I think I wouldn’t take this on while paying slip fees. I’d rather have it at my house or on the hard close to it. Running back and forth to the boat for supplies, equipment and other stuff if relentless with this level of work.
Totally agree, will be looking for free storage before moving ahead.

Aug 22, 2022
Yamaha 33 Hong Kong
A dock neighbor of mine bought a 37 Irwin three years ago whose interior looked like the one in your post. Deck was just as bad. I knew this boat quite well as it was my friend's and we delivered it from Key Largo to the Fl west coast where it now sits. The boat has not been out under its own power since we brought it here in 2011. They finally started working on her just less than a year ago it will be at least two years before she leaves the dock. Just the $$$ they are going to be shelling out, not to mention the hundreds of hours of labor, they could have bought something similar for under 20K and be on the water sailing instead of being tied to a slip and shelling out even more money on slip rent. Just sayin'.
Thank you. I expected it to be a long and expensive road ahead.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
In order to make a reasonably rational decision, make a detailed list of all the items you'll be throwing away. Price the replacements. Then price the wood you will be using. Add a minimum of $3,000 for new cushion foam and upholstery. Add in a buffer of $500 for specialized tools you may need. Will it need new sails, new rigging (standing and running)? Now add 20% to that sub-total amount as a fudge factor. See if it makes sense then. This:) or this:yikes:?