Is this normal?

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Admitting that I know very little about fiberglass, is it normal to have sections inside the hull glow when the sun shines on the outside of the hull. These pictures are of the compartment behind the potty on my second generation. One with flash and one without.

Thanks

Russ

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Admitting that I know very little about fiberglass, is it normal to have sections inside the hull glow when the sun shines on the outside of the hull. These pictures are of the compartment behind the potty on my second generation. One with flash and one without.

Thanks

Russ
Yes... it only means the gelcoat or paint is thin... you can see the hull "glow" that way even though the glass layup is thick, depending on the intensity of the light..

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Totally normal where there is no paint on the inside of the hull. When my hull was inverted and after I sanded off the old bottom paint I got that glow too. When I sanded off the gelcoat to do the blister repair it was practically daylight inside the hull.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks. I was a little surprised to see how much glow I could see.
Russ

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I was surprised how thin the hull is in that area, just a fraction over 1/8".

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Gene,
What did you put a thru hull there for?

Russ

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Gene has a MK II hull that has the drain in forward anchor locker. There is a thread around here somewhere where this is discussed and he put up pictures.

Gene,
What did you put a thru hull there for?

Russ