Is This Fixable?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Fellow Sailors. I started my winterizing chores today and found that my fresh water pump is broken. I depressurized the water system to drain and isolate the water heater and the fresh water pump took forever to repressurize. After turning on the faucet the pump ran forever and water only trickled out. I did all regular stuff. Water was in the tank. no blockages on either side of the pump. I looked at the pump and there was a date code of 12/94. It is a Shurflo 2088-423-244. Is this fixable? Is it worth fixing? I would maybe want a replacement with a little more pressure. Does anyone have a replacement suggestion? Also there is what appears to be a filter attached to it that I can't find anywhere on the net. Is there a replacement for that?
IMG_20161201_181440423.jpg
All wisdom is welcome.
IMG_20161201_175039235_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Looks like you have the pump out already, but one thing to try with these symptoms is to open the faucet farthest from the pump ie head sink, then run the pump. Do one side at a time hot vs cold. Sometimes air hides in the line and prevents water from coming up from the tank.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Well the motor runs, and it pumps... somewhat...for $36 I would take a shot at replacing the pump diaphragms:
http://www.pumpagents.com/partpages/ShurfloPumps/2088-423-244.html
I agree... Last spring I faced replacing my self priming diaphragm bilge pump for either $150 new or cheaper less reliable in bilge pump...

For about $20 and a little work, I replaced the diaphragm and been working like new...

Now I just gotta get a reliable float switch that works when I need it and not just during testing...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had to replace my pump in my RV and RV store wanted $150 to $200 and called
the maker of the pump and they gave me the proper updated pump # and got it on Amazon $68.00
Nick

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If the motor is running and the pump body is not leaking water, chances are that the valves in the pump are fouled.. it is easy to disassemble to check.. The kit that Gunni references will fix that problem too..

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
The doo-hickey attached to it is a filter. West Marine stocks them right next to the pumps. I just replaced mine and didn't know about the diaphragm fix..

BTW, from your pics, the 12/94 date is for the filter, the pump appears to have a 5/95 manufacturing date...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Fixable? Anything is fixable with enough $$$$ . Cost effective, I don't think so. Recall my father in law saying that he was going to look for his warranty papers when his 20 year old A/C unit failed. Check Amazon, they have a new Shureflow 3.5GPH, 3 chamber diaphragm pump for $72.50 with Prime shipping. All of a sudden that repair kit for $36 to keep the old motor and housing seems kind of expensive. If it was a newer pump I would consider the rebuild but for a 20+ pump I would certainly replace. Now taking apart for cleaning it is something I would do if I were underway but I don't think I would bother if I could have a replacement dropped at my home in two days.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The filter comes unscrewed for cleaning. Those hose barbs look bent or not seated properly.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
take off the 6 (if memory serves) screws on the pump head. Remove the 4 mushroom valves (shaped like a mushroom)(three inlet and one out or viva-verce). Take them out with a tooth pick on the mushroom stem and be careful that you do not tear the rubber. Clean with a toothbrush. also clean the valve holder with a tooth brush. Reinstall the valves and assemble the pump head. If during cleaning you notice a tear or wear spot buy a diaphragm replacement kit and install it. When reinstalling the screws insert the screw and turn it clockwise till the threads cut in the plastic "click" into the screw threads. Then screw counter clockwise to tighten.
Good luck

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Thanks to all for your responses. I will be out of town all next week and I wanted this done before I left. I went to WM and bought a Shurflo Aqua king II. They gave me a port supply price which helped. It took an hour to replace. I did take the old one apart and when I put it back together it did not work at all. If I had lots of time I probably would have opted for the repair. The pressure is much better which leads me to believe this pump was on the edge of failing for a while. Thanks again for the wisdom.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat came equipped with a Flojet brand pump: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234231&id=151034

When we purchased Belle-Vie, a 1991 P42, in 2002 the PO was having some trouble with the water pump as he had replaced the pressure switch. The symptom was that the pump would do a short burp cycle about every ten seconds. It seemed to be a small leak somewhere. Found the slow drip at a loose fitting and fixed it (another story). That worked for awhile, but then it started doing it again.

There were no leaks in the system so I called Flojet customer support and explained the symptom. He concluded a faulty check valve so ordered a new one for about ten dollars. Easy to replace and did so, but also ordered a new unit and glad I did. I kept the old repaired unit as a spare with the new one running much quieter and of course no more cycling.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
getting 20 years from a pump is pretty good ! our par jabsco belt drive pumps ( vintage 1980, 1 for bilge pump and 1 for water system) both failed. the rebuild kits were about $60 , the cost of new belt drives were about $380 each. the advantage of the belt drive bilge pump is that it sits out of the bilge not in the water. (it has a remote pump switch and filter.) . it also does not seem to have as much of a back flow problem as the rule-style submersibles. any one can re build a pump if you can follow the manufacturer's blow up diagram of how to replace the seals. take a shot at it on a rainy day, with a cold beer at hand.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Now that it's said and done I think I made the right move by replacing it. Hopefully this one will last another 20 years.