Is there an Epoxy Gelcoat out there?

Jul 27, 2019
hunter 146 black hills
I have been repairing my fiberglass Hunter 146 centerboard.
Once I am finished, I would like to gelcoat the repair with an epoxy-based gelcoat, but am unable to find any.
I realize I can gelcoat with polyester, but I would rather work with epoxy.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Epoxy is UV sensitive. Don't think you'll find it as a gelcoat for at least that reason.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yep. Epoxy is great stuff but does not hold up well to UV radiation. You would need to paint over it which sort of defeats the purpose.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Treat this like you are hot coating a surfboad. Paint this and youll be having to touch this up every six months. Gel coat or UV cure epoxy will hold the edges much better against bottom carving, beaching, and trailer dings.

Jul 27, 2019
hunter 146 black hills
Thanks for the feedback; I figured as much but thought I'd ask.
Seems to be a lot of discussion on whether poly gelcoat will last over epoxy, especially on something that gets a regular load on it.
I like the System3 suggestion; one of my main likes of epoxy is the easy clean up.
For the moment I only need a little, so I will shop around for some poly gelcoat.
BTW I've tons of experience with epoxy and polyester, but this is my first vessel that requires gelcoat knowledge. A few repairs here and there need done. So far...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Gelcoat will stick to epoxy if the epoxy is properly prepared.

There is an article on this on the West System website and some testing. Andy from Boatworks Today (youtube.com) also did some testing that was reported on the West System site.

Jul 27, 2019
hunter 146 black hills
Gelcoat will stick to epoxy if the epoxy is properly prepared.

There is an article on this on the West System website and some testing. Andy from Boatworks Today (youtube.com) also did some testing that was reported on the West System site.
excellent, thanks!!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So watching this thread makes me have a question. What's the difference between a gel coat and an epoxy barrier coat, functionally speaking for an underwater application?

Epoxy barrier coats have lower permeabity than polyester. The OP asked about doing this on a center board. What's the concern about UV resistance? The center board is going to be in the water, not in the sun. Just a question?

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So watching this thread makes me have a question. What's the difference between a gel coat and an epoxy barrier coat, functionally speaking for an underwater application?

Epoxy barrier coats have lower permeabity than polyester. The OP asked about doing this on a center board. What's the concern about UV resistance? The center board is going to be in the water, not in the sun. Just a question?

dj
All resins are porous to a greater or less degree. Plain old epoxy is less porous than polyester resin which is more porous than vinyl ester resins. Gelcoat is basically a polyester resin.

Barrier coats are typically epoxy and have added fillers to make it less porous and harder than standard epoxy. Take a look at Interlux Interprotect 2000. West System has their own method as do the other major paint manufacturers.

In what is becoming ancient history in the world of fiberglass boats is underwater blistering. The early gelcoats and polyester resins were susceptible to water infiltration which caused blisters to form on hull under the waterline. Barrier coats and vinyl ester resins were the solution.

In this particular application, UV resistance is perhaps not as important as it is in some other applications. Some epoxies are more tolerant of UV resistance than others. The issue with a centerboard is getting a very smooth surface so the board is more efficient and has less drag. Gelcoat can be polished out to a very smooth finish and is a good choice. Interlux VC Performance is an epoxy that has some UV resistance and can be polished out to an exceptionally hard and smooth surface. Smother surface, less friction, better laminar flow, faster boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
That's an excellent explanation. Thank you. As I'm reading, I'm recalling another advantage of the gel coat is that it will take colorants so that the final gel coat can be the color of your choice, matching your boat or whatever you want. The epoxy systems also have colorants, however, I don't recall if they are suggested for below water line usage. The OP would have to check with the manufacturer chosen. Using a gel coat with colorants would allow sanding and maintaining the desired color.

dj

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Just FYI, West System Epoxy does have a white colorant that can be added to their epoxy resins. I pretty much agree with all that has been written above.