Is the topping lift necessary?

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I recently deep-sixted my Dutchman system in favor of lazy jacks and a cradle cover (Doyle). The topping lift seems to be somewhat useless unless I want to remove the fixed vang to remove the boom or for some other reason hold the boom up. Has anyone removed the TL or is it not as useless as I think.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
You think correctly. When you have a rigid vang (or a boomkicker), the topping lift is redundant.

Some might say that you may want to keep it, just in case (e.g. you may use it as an emergency halyard). I removed it this season and put a messenger line in. I can put it back in, if I find any reasons to do it in the future.
If nothing else, it reduces the weight aloft.

mdz

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If it's not in the way or hindering anything I would think of it as another line of defense in keeping the boom from crashing down on your head. :yikes:

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I use my topping lift when I go aloft, or to send things up - like rigging flags to dress ship. It doesn't get in the way, so I just leave it there.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
If it's not in the way or hindering anything I would think of it as another line of defense in keeping the boom from crashing down on your head. :yikes:
Not that they are all that strong, but don't the lazy jacks provide a secondary line of defense to support the boom also?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Keep it. There are times you need to support the boom, but the lazy jacks are slackened. There's no reason you'd regret keeping it, but may regret removing it. I have both, and always will. Memorial Weekend and July 4th I use the topping to hoist red/white/blue streamers. Or the U.S. flag !

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Not that they are all that strong
Ah, and therein lies the rub. I've had them break or come undone long before any topping lift. I just wouldn't take an unnecessary chance. Then, again, your boat.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
My boom would hit the Bimini without it, as the vang does not keep it high enough. Actually replacing it this weekend as it has gotten a bit toasty.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I removed mine when I installed my rigid vang. Good thing too 'cause my new main has more roach in it and would catch if it was still there.

On my C-30 the topping lift was fixed at the top of the mast - not useful as a spare halyard.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
rather than deleting the topping lift, get a shroud cleat and install it high on the backstay and clip it off there. its always out of the way, but ready when needed.

I have a boom kicker, but I still use the topping lift to raise the boom overhead and out of the cockpit when im not under sail...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A rigid vang cannot properly assist the boom to bring loads aboard or get loads off the boat. If you have no need for a lifting devise then the toping lift would be redundant.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We are still using out dutchman so we need the topping lift. But when I replaced all my running rigging before we left to go cruising I replaced the old topping lift with the same line as the main halyard. The sheeves are the same and you don't have to change anything to make this upgrade. Now I have a full backup for the main halyard if anything were to happen, as others have suggested.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I use mine for maintaining the boom angle for my in-mast furling, going to the top of the mast, swinging the dingy over board, impressing other sailors with my adjustable vang and topping lift;), and I have never used it for setting the main.
Jim...

PS: I asked a expert racing Captain how he used it. He just shrugged his shoulders.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Topping lift works really well in my case. I use it for installing the boom and removing it. Our mast comes down every year.
Also I find it handy as a back up to the Vang and use it as a extra halyard when needed.

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm guessing ~120'
Leach is = SQRT[ ( Mast HT )*( Mast HT ) + (Boom length)*(Boom length) ]

That is the square root = SQRT [....].
Total Line is = Leach + Mast HT + Make Fast + Winch + 2 (extra for stop knot )

Add to that the line feet to make fast the lift when boom is horizontal.

If you want use it as a lift...

Additional length to your nearest Winch plus a few feet more (2).
Jim...

PS: look for web calculator if you don't have a square root function.
http://www.online-calculator.com