Is the C-18 the Right boat for me?

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Hi - newbie here. I am possibly looking to buy a C18. I am wondering if its the right boat for me. I have done all the on-line reading. Heres some desired characteristics and related thoughts:

Small, trailberable, stable, ease of operation.
I am 62, slightly overweight with 50 years of sailing experience and ownership (but not an expert).
Will be coastal sailing (90% in/around a harbor) in SE Mass.
Weather is mainly 10-15kts with occasional chop.
The boat will be moored primarily, so self-bailing is desired
Max of 3 people, but will single handle alot
Not interested in speed/performance.
Money is tight

Pls comment - I appreciate all input. Thx

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
Hi! There are a few posts I made some time ago about my experiences with my Catalina Capri 18. They were from the titles of "Capri 18" and "Catalina 18 owners opinions". Unfortunately I have not been able to get my C18 in the water this season,or the powerboat either. We have been in the process of searching for and now buying a small summer cottage in your neck of the woods. About as far south as you can go in MA and almost as far east. Anyway, I am now 63 and slightly "overweight"??? also. I have found that my C 18 is the right boat for me and will fit all the needs that you have posted,but only you can decide if it will be a good fit for you.

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Hi! There are a few posts I made some time ago about my experiences with my Catalina Capri 18. <snip> . I have found that my C 18 is the right boat for me and will fit all the needs that you have posted,but only you can decide if it will be a good fit for you.
Thx JA - bought one this past week...can't wait for that first sail!

Good Luck with that cottage, let me know if I can help.

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
Here is another opinion from someone who is strictly a daysailer and never sleeps or camps overnight but I've owned a 2004 for 11 years and if I upgrade to a bigger boat I won't sell this one. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I'm no expert

The positive / Things I like about the boat
-Loading on and off trailer a breeze
-Stable like a bigger boat and handles like a bigger boat
-Cockpit holds 4 adults comfortably with some kids below
-Sails well with just the jib in stronger winds. I have a furler on mine which makes it easy
-Stern sheeting. My boat has it and its great . Frees up the cockpit
- Toilet mine has one but I've never used it but its there. In fact to use it you would have to open the front hatch to sit up straight which would make for some interest viewing
-Sits lower in the water than the bigger boats . I like that

Negative
-I have only one complaint and that is it rounds up a little too quick for me when you hit higher winds and gusts over about 18 mph
-I added a step into the cabin
- I added some blocks on the deck so I could run the main halyard back to the cockpit

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
- Toilet mine has one but I've never used it but its there. In fact to use it you would have to open the front hatch to sit up straight which would make for some interest viewing
Now that's funny right there! I guess you don't need reading material :biggrin: