Is the 7.3 enough boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
I am still considering a 7.3 but have a question relative to size. I am looking for first sailboat. Wife and I are very healthy/active late 60s folks. Living coastal in South Carolina. We see ourselves on the ICW and connected bays. Some barrier island visits. We don't see ourselves on the big blue. The 7.3 looks like a great coastal cruiser. But at 24' I am concerned it might not be enough boat. Wanting to do weekend overnights (the two of us) and occasionally sail with 5 adults and being 6'2" will we outgrow this boat quickly once we are proficient sailors? Thanks folks.

timtim

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Southport, NC
rbyham, I'm new to sailing and just got a S2 8.0, 26' with a 5'10" head room. I feel it will be great for starters and see myself stepping up to a 30 footer later.

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
I hear you Tim. Your experience is exactly why I am asking the question. I see 27s and 30s available in my area as well. So I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet in and start with something bigger rather than buy a smaller starter boat with the plan to move up later. I have only lost money every time I have bought-sold-bought a depreciating asset like a boat.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
I would vote for the slightly larger boat to start as well ( I have a 26.5' LOA 9'6" beam 6'2" headroom boat)

That extra 2 foot long also translates to wider and taller so the effective "Volume" of the boat is increased expotentially, while handling and sailing characteristics change only slightly...You (and the wife) will appreciate the extra room if you plan on doing any amount of sleepovers (other than occasional weekend)

The head room and ("head" room) will be an asset as well along with a "real" head installation (from your other post)...

Best would be to get your butt out to the marina and climb into a couple boats of various sizes (in your range) to experiance firsthand the difference these few inchs here and there make....

Just be carefull not to go into too large a boat or you'll spoil yourself and never be happy with a smaller "starter" boat...

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
Our last 10 years in Colorado we broke into the RV life. I did that via a cheap older camper to see if we enjoyed camping. We did and so a year later sold the cheapy and bought next to new larger. That turned out well as i sold for same as I bought for. But not sure the used sailboat market would support a similar move. That and I recall a helpful piece of advice as we were exploring the RV lifestyle - buy as much RV as you can afford.

I have walked several marinas and been on several boats in the 27-32 foot range. That experience is also a part of my hesitation on something 24'... but everything i hear about S2 yachts is so positive so I am still thinking it over...

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
More boat is better if you can afford it, however with size systems increase in complexity and you spend more time on maintenance. I had a 25 footer with an outboard, no fresh water system and a porta potty I bought for 1000. I used it for three years and sold it for 1200. I am sure I spent another 1000 I didn't get back, but the loss was negligible. I paid 20000 for my 9.2a and have spent way more on her plus i have several significant maintenance items to fix that will cost me easily 2000 go get back to the point where I would get my 20000 back. Just wear and tear (water and fuel tank replacement, which several others have run into) but she is 32 years old now.

So I guess I am saying the bigger the boat the bigger the risk to some extent.

Jun 2, 2004
- - Havre de Grace
I have owned my 1982 7.3 for about 8 years and now sail on the upper Chesapeake. The 7.3 comes in two flavors. A shoal keel with a 4 foot draft and a fin with a 4 foot draft. Mine is the shoal keel which allows me to go many places that others would have difficulty in. The 7.3 is a solid boat that handles well, but like with any other boat a little common sense goes a long way. No matter what boat you decide on asses the risks ( weather and sea state, crew condition and experience , safety equipment...) each time you go out. You can have a great time with a 7.3 and many other boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.