Is my hull solid fiberglass or have core material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
So I am hauling my 84 H27 for bottom job. I have speed and depth thru hull transducers installed in vbirth (the displays are old west marine units and can't find much info on them and are not hooked up and I have no idea if they work). I have had leaks in the vbirth from either the transducers or the OLD plywood backing plates that were used to install the ducers (I think it is the plywood that is leaking). Anyhow, I am wondering if the hull is solid fiberglass or has a core material???? I am trying to get a good idea on what to expect as far as water damage when I remove. I am trying to get my finances in order for the bottom job, this particular job, and a few other things I need to do while it is out of the water. Which also brings me to another question. Any advice on must do's while boat is out of the water?????

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
I might also add that I am contemplating glassing over the thruhulls as I use my Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder for depth and speed. The transducer for the Lowrance is in my bilge and not a thru hull. Speed is misleading anyway on the Columbia River. My thoughts are "two less holes in my hull that I have to worry about"??? Maybe I am missing something here?

Here is the repair estimates I am looking at:

February 18, 2013

Task 1 – Bottom Paint Package

Description of Work
Lift vessel to yard. Pressure wash bottom, block vessel in yard for repairs. Perform light prep sanding to existing bottom paint. Assuming no additional sanding is needed due to loose or flaking paint, apply two coat of anti-fouling paint. Following all other repairs, wash vessel and launch. Cost includes all materials.

Labor & Materials
Bottom Paint: $37.550/Ft. LOA (27.00 foot vessel) $1,012.50
Environmental fee: $1.00/Ft. LOA (27.00 foot vessel) $27.00

Task 1 Sub-Total: $1,039.50

Task 2 –Replace Thru Hull Transducers (OPTION 1)

Description of Work
Remove existing depth and speed transducers, cleaned mating surfaces, install replacement transducers. Customer to run wire through boat and make connections. NOTE: New transducers may not work with older existing instruments.

Labor
8.00 hours @ $84.50/Hr. $676.00

Materials
Shop supplies (abrasives, rags, 4200 fast cure caulk) $50.00
Speed and depth transducers $160.00

Task 2 Sub-Total: $886.00

Task 2 – Fiberglass Existing Thru-Hulls (OPTION 2)

Description of Work
Set up vacuum and supplies. Remove existing thru hull fixtures. Grind out exterior areas to six inch diameter. Grind out interior areas to three inch diameter. Laminate dual bias 17oz fiberglass to existing hull thickness outside and lay up inside. Sand repair sites fair on both exterior and interior. Remove dust, clean area in preparation for paint application.

Labor
13.00 hours @ $84.50/Hr. $1,098.50

Materials
Shop supplies (abrasives, fiberglass, epoxy resin, rags, etc.) $195.00

Task 2 Sub-Total: $1,293.50

Task 3 – Stuffing Box Re-Packing (OPTION 1)

Description of Work
Repack stuffing box. Run boat at dock and perform river test.

Labor
2.00 hours @ $95.00/Hr. $190.00

Materials
Flax packing $10.00

Task 3 Sub-Total: $200.00

Task 3 – Install Dripless Seal (OPTION 2)

Description of Work
Mask traffic areas, remove person effects as required to access coupling, separate shaft from coupling, disconnect stuffing box hose from log and remove from shaft, install new PSS seal, secure to shaft log, install rotor and properly set as per manufacturer's specifications, run vent hose, install vent loop, return removed items, remove masking and clean up repair area.

Labor
6.00 hours @ $95.00/Hr. $570.00

Materials
PSS seal, hose clamps, miscellaneous shop supplies $300.00

Task 3 Sub-Total: $870.00

Feb 12, 2013
C&C 35 MKIII k/c Rock Creek, Chesapeake
I might also add that I am contemplating glassing over the thruhulls as I use my Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder for depth and speed. The transducer for the Lowrance is in my bilge and not a thru hull. Speed is misleading anyway on the Columbia River. My thoughts are "two less holes in my hull that I have to worry about"??? Maybe I am missing something here?

Here is the repair estimates I am looking at:

February 18, 2013

Task 1 – Bottom Paint Package

Description of Work
Lift vessel to yard. Pressure wash bottom, block vessel in yard for repairs. Perform light prep sanding to existing bottom paint. Assuming no additional sanding is needed due to loose or flaking paint, apply two coat of anti-fouling paint. Following all other repairs, wash vessel and launch. Cost includes all materials.

Labor & Materials
Bottom Paint: $37.550/Ft. LOA (27.00 foot vessel) $1,012.50
Environmental fee: $1.00/Ft. LOA (27.00 foot vessel) $27.00

Task 1 Sub-Total: $1,039.50

Task 2 –Replace Thru Hull Transducers (OPTION 1)

Description of Work
Remove existing depth and speed transducers, cleaned mating surfaces, install replacement transducers. Customer to run wire through boat and make connections. NOTE: New transducers may not work with older existing instruments.

Labor
8.00 hours @ $84.50/Hr. $676.00

Materials
Shop supplies (abrasives, rags, 4200 fast cure caulk) $50.00
Speed and depth transducers $160.00

Task 2 Sub-Total: $886.00

Task 2 – Fiberglass Existing Thru-Hulls (OPTION 2)

Description of Work
Set up vacuum and supplies. Remove existing thru hull fixtures. Grind out exterior areas to six inch diameter. Grind out interior areas to three inch diameter. Laminate dual bias 17oz fiberglass to existing hull thickness outside and lay up inside. Sand repair sites fair on both exterior and interior. Remove dust, clean area in preparation for paint application.

Labor
13.00 hours @ $84.50/Hr. $1,098.50

Materials
Shop supplies (abrasives, fiberglass, epoxy resin, rags, etc.) $195.00

Task 2 Sub-Total: $1,293.50

Task 3 – Stuffing Box Re-Packing (OPTION 1)

Description of Work
Repack stuffing box. Run boat at dock and perform river test.

Labor
2.00 hours @ $95.00/Hr. $190.00

Materials
Flax packing $10.00

Task 3 Sub-Total: $200.00

Task 3 – Install Dripless Seal (OPTION 2)

Description of Work
Mask traffic areas, remove person effects as required to access coupling, separate shaft from coupling, disconnect stuffing box hose from log and remove from shaft, install new PSS seal, secure to shaft log, install rotor and properly set as per manufacturer's specifications, run vent hose, install vent loop, return removed items, remove masking and clean up repair area.

Labor
6.00 hours @ $95.00/Hr. $570.00

Materials
PSS seal, hose clamps, miscellaneous shop supplies $300.00

Task 3 Sub-Total: $870.00

Check the cutlass bearing. If staying with stuffing box, how long since the shaft rubber tube was replaced. 10 year is the limit. Also have them check shaft coupler while in there.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Thanks Chef, I will have them check. I have no idea when it was last changed. I bought her last year. I was planning on having the hose changed and will most likely stay with stuffing box. I like the idea of dripless due to very shallow bilge and the fact that the stuffing box is hard for me to access. However, I do not know that $670 difference is worth it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hull is solid, Bigjer.. There is an option to seal the leaking 'ducer and leave the other in place.. I agree with stuffing box .. if you are even close to thinking about selling (other post) don't spend the money on the dripless.. You can go with some of the new packing material that is almost dripless for just a couple of dollars more. The Teflon or graphite/teflon stuff is excellent.. a step up from the old wax/flax..

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Hull is solid, Bigjer.. There is an option to seal the leaking 'ducer and leave the other in place.. I agree with stuffing box .. if you are even close to thinking about selling (other post) don't spend the money on the dripless.. You can go with some of the new packing material that is almost dripless for just a couple of dollars more. The Teflon or graphite/teflon stuff is excellent.. a step up from the old wax/flax..
Great, thanks! The plywood on both appear to be weeping, so I am trying to decide if I should just get new transducers and instruments (which I most likelly will not use because I use my GPS) or glass over. Although the glass is an extra $400 so I am thinking I may as well add a new instrument.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Here are pics of the transducers and instruments. And look at the wonderful sanitation hoses that will bless me with another project :eek:

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I am not sure about the people that are doing these repairs, but I notice that they are charging 2 hrs to repack the stuff box. We were not in any hurry and I doubt that it took 20-30 min. to do this. This was for someone that had not done it before.

Do you have another yard around that can bid on this work?

I would question ALL of these items based on that item alone. Maybe I have lost touch with these types of repair,but these things seem out of the range what I would consider normal/customery. Maybe some others can set me straight.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
I am not sure about the people that are doing these repairs, but I notice that they are charging 2 hrs to repack the stuff box. We were not in any hurry and I doubt that it took 20-30 min. to do this. This was for someone that had not done it before.

Do you have another yard around that can bid on this work?

I would question ALL of these items based on that item alone. Maybe I have lost touch with these types of repair,but these things seem out of the range what I would consider normal/customery. Maybe some others can set me straight.
Steve, I tried to get another quote but the yard never called me back. I took that as a sign of the service I would expect from them. The current quote was further explained as double hours on the thru hull for two workers. I don't see how each thru hull would require two people for two hours (4 hours total per transducer). That is how they explained eight hours. Seems a little off to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.