Is my Gooseneck cooked?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Just happened to be up on the deck yesterday and notice this "C" shaped ring lying on the deck right under the gooseneck. I quickly realized it was one of the the two clips that fit into the gooseneck ball. I squeezed it a bit and put it back in but got the feeling something might have broken in there, even though the boom still seemed to swivel ok. Anyone know what might be "cooking" there? The day before there was a fair bit of boom slap a couple of times but nothing too extreme.

Attachments

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, but how do I know something is actually broken in there? The clip went back in and stayed put. I do see where to get new ball halves, yes. D&R marine also has apparently.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You could remove the boom and inspect the parts to make sure nothing looks split. Once the boom is off the rest of the gooseneck can be disassembled.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
You would have to remove boom to inspect the half ball areas for wear to ensure the clips will remain in place. These typical have their tension on them to stay in place

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
To remove the boom, follow rig rites instructions on raising back end of boom considerably to disconnect boom from gooseneck. Took 2 of us to do this on my boat.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Oh joy, sounds like fun. The good news is (if I understand correctly) that the gooseneck does not come off by itself, so I think I am going to pull both clips, pinch them a bit and put them back, see how she goes. To yank it all apart for an inspection only seems warranted if there is a serious safety risk to my thinking. Of course I could be missing something. This area does not lack for lube as it squeaks like hell if it does not get a once as season grease job. Maybe tired clips after 35 years and a couple of nasty boom slaps popped that one out.