Is Marlow Hunter on Death Row?

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
As I like to do every 2 or 3 years, my wife and I are attending the 2019 Annapolis sailboat show. Conspicuously absent are Hunter Sailboats. IMHO, having a boat show without the major players is like having motorcycle outlaw rally without Harley Davidson. Could this mean the end of the line for Hunter? Doesn't matter much to me because we own a Catalina 310 in excellent condition, and hope to keep it as long as possible

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
My guess is Marlow Hunter only makes sailboats on demand like they do their Marlow Yachts. BTW the last sailboat I saw at their staging area in Bradenton did not have "Hunter" in the name, only Marlow.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
We bought a new Marlow Hunter 40 last year. It was a factory direct purchase that was delivered directly to our marina in Maryland. Two guys from the factory came up with the boat from Florida and did the commissioning and acceptance sea trials at our marina/boat yard. Dealing directly with the factory allowed me to customized some features on the boat. I made two trips to the factory while the boat was being built and met most of the guys working on the boat. I got to ask lots of questions, incorporate preferences and take photos before they put the liner and deck into the hull.

As Sailgunner surmised, they are no longer a production builder. All boats are customer ordered. There still are a couple of dealers, but most of the orders are factory direct. The factory is way oversized for the number of boats that they are building and looking to sell the property and build a much smaller production facility. There were 22 employees when they built my boat, most of them had been building Hunter sailboats for over 25 years. They did take several boats to the Miami and St. Petersburg boat shows last year. The Annapolis show is just too expensive for the number of boats they are building.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I believe someone here reported that the company is trying to right-size their production facilities.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Don't know if that's where the factory is, though.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton

Don't know if that's where the factory is, though.
In a similar thread recently the Marlow production rep stated that the firm had moved to a central location. When asked where that central location was there was no response.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When asked where that central location was there was no response.
Just another undisclosed location...

Look, you now have the website and their contact information. Go for it. If they won't tell you, tell us they wouldn't. If they do, let us know, OK? :clap: