Is it too big? Rutgerson Clutch won't Stay Open

Feb 16, 2024
Hunter Legend 37 Gig Harbor
On my 1989 Hunter Legend 37, the main halyard is likely 1/2 inch, maybe a little thicker and well worn. I have the original rutgerson clutches with the white handle tips. When I release the main halyard and open the clutch all the way, it will not stay open. As the line plays out, it immediately closes the clutch just enough to stop it. I have to hold the clutch open to drop the main. This is a problem when single handling.

The other clutches don't do it, but the lines look thinner.

Anyone have this issue or advice?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
1" for a halyard on a 37' boat is massive.
With modern cordage you can aggressively downsize. Look for an ultra low stretch core with a braided cover. You shouldn't need more than 1/2 inch but you have to look at the specs available from the major suppliers or manufacturer.

Feb 16, 2024
Hunter Legend 37 Gig Harbor
1" for a halyard on a 37' boat is massive.
With modern cordage you can aggressively downsize. Look for an ultra low stretch core with a braided cover. You shouldn't need more than 1/2 inch but you have to look at the specs available from the major suppliers or manufacturer.
Not 1". It's 1/2 in most likely. My experience is that old lines can swell with time as they collect dirt/dust, but still in the 1/2 in range. Next size down is 7/16