Is it safe to swim at sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
Last saturday I was anchored off the coast in Monterey Bay. I decided that it was a good day to clean the bottom. I put on my wetsuit and in the water I went. As I was scrubbing the bottom I was tinking about what sort of creatures were near and watching me. Of course my thoughts turned to sharks and statistics as the Monterey Bay is known for great whites.
As I was contemplating my fate a curious sea lion swam up within a few feet of my face mask to greet me. I almost had a bowel movement. Then I started laughing so hard that I almost choked on my snorkle.
The first time I ever got in the water to clean the bottom of my boat(my first boat), I had a scraper and was near the back of the keel. I was thinking of sharks as well when I saw a huge shadow appear on the sea floor. I instinctively held the scraper out in front of me and impaled a 20' great white shark! Ok it wasn't a great white. The clouds cleared and I saw the shadow of the boat and nearly peed my pants. lol

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
If you go into the water in the Chesapeake Bay south of Annapolis the most dangerous critter you are likely to encounter is jelly fish known locally as sea nettles.

Jul 25, 2009
Catalina 1989 C30 Mk II Herrington Harbour South, MD
If you go into the water in the Chesapeake Bay south of Annapolis the most dangerous critter you are likely to encounter is jelly fish known locally as sea nettles.
And they are finally out in force.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
there are some even in sin diego bay this year--only came here 2-3 times before and are spozed to be rare here.....huge red things....we find them dead on our bay beach where we beach our dinks....havent heard of they are as far north as you are, tho..keep eyes open for them..they are black jellies and pack a whollop...

Status
Not open for further replies.