Is Hunter (or Marlow Hunter) Still Even in Business?

Jul 18, 2011
Hunter 36 Baltimore, MD
I don't know if this topic has already been beaten to death, so my apologies if it has, but does anyone know the real story about whether Hunter or more specifically Marlow-Hunter is still in business and what happened to them? They still have a nice website, but it doesn't seem like there is anything going on there at all. No more boat shows and, apparently, no more boats. There's very little out there on the Web about the company. I've read about the bankruptcy and Marlow coming in and taking over and it looked like they were making some pretty neat looking boats in the early to mid 2010's (though unsure about the quality). MH 50, 40, 37, and 33 looked good. and the "new" 42SS looked good too (was there literally only one of those ever made?).

I also did a google maps search just to see what the place looks like and it was downright scary and disappointing. It looks like a poorly kept junkyard for derelict molds and equipment in the rear of the property. Take a look:

I'm not trying to start a who-struck-John about this, and I have really liked Hunter sailboats over the years and had a 2005 36 and now have a 2005 41 AC. I always thought it was a nice alternative to Catalina, especially if you weren't into the Euro styling of Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, and Dufour. Just still a little curious I guess. The company may not be "officially" dead, but I don't know what else you'd call it. Thanks.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The last response I saw on this site said they were downsizing and selling the property to move to another location since they didn't need all that acreage with a factory direct, build to suit, model. However, after all else that has gone on, and considering the Marlow power yacht were made in China, I'm not putting any money on the table.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I agree you never see anything regarding the MH products! I think he is letting it die on the vine! I get the Yacht magazine and there are all sorts of advertisements for the Marlow Yachts! I have been told that they were only making the small sailboats in Alachua. But I was also told nothing is being done there at all! It is sad to see an American Sailing icon end in this manner!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I think the obituary may be premature. We were in Alachua in May and there was obvious activity there although I didn’t go in. Most manufacturing in Florida hasn’t been interrupted much by this ‘toilet paper crisis’.

• Ha

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I don't know if this topic has already been beaten to death, so my apologies if it has, but does anyone know the real story about whether Hunter or more specifically Marlow-Hunter is still in business and what happened to them? They still have a nice website, but it doesn't seem like there is anything going on there at all. No more boat shows and, apparently, no more boats. There's very little out there on the Web about the company. I've read about the bankruptcy and Marlow coming in and taking over and it looked like they were making some pretty neat looking boats in the early to mid 2010's (though unsure about the quality). MH 50, 40, 37, and 33 looked good. and the "new" 42SS looked good too (was there literally only one of those ever made?).

I also did a google maps search just to see what the place looks like and it was downright scary and disappointing. It looks like a poorly kept junkyard for derelict molds and equipment in the rear of the property. Take a look:

I'm not trying to start a who-struck-John about this, and I have really liked Hunter sailboats over the years and had a 2005 36 and now have a 2005 41 AC. I always thought it was a nice alternative to Catalina, especially if you weren't into the Euro styling of Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, and Dufour. Just still a little curious I guess. The company may not be "officially" dead, but I don't know what else you'd call it. Thanks.
I called the plant in December and was told they were only making boats up to 22’ while they decided where to relocate. If I wanted a bigger boat I should call back in the fall of 2020.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I needed help with some parts for my boat last winter and I stopped in at the Alachua factory as I was driving down Hwy 75. When I was there many years ago it was a bee hive of activity. This winter, I walked in and found no one up front. Then I wandered back into the offices and found one big room full of desks and paper work piles but no people. Way in the back of the offices I found one guy in (by the way there was only one car in the parking lot) luckily he was able to help; (after reminding me that Marlow-Hunter didn't build my boat. I said yeah yeah yeah I've heard that on the phone several times since Marlow bought the place.) I then asked what the deal was with the empty offices and factory. He smiled and said everybody is at lunch. I got a good laugh out of his comment and moved on.

• Ha
May 6, 2020
Marlow Hunter MH31 Cardiff Penarth Marina
I own a 2017 MH 31 i bought new from EdgeWater Marine in the UK. I experienced problems with leaking windows as several other MH owners in the UK. We tried on numerous occasions to get a response back from the Marlow Hunter office and got little response from them to help. I happened to be on a business visit in Florida in 2019 and decided to do a cold call on them in Alachua. The site was up for sale and looked very much closed down. The reception door was open but no one was there I shouted and was met by Brett Leary. He explained that they are not doing any big boat builds and were just completing a build on a small dingy type sailboat. He said the yard was up for sale as the market for big boats had fallen down. I asked about my leaking windows and he was very helpful indeed and provided me with a guide and instructions on how to fit the windows he gave me a tour round the factory where there were two people working but no boat work was being carried out. Only two cars in the car park. I ended up paying £2000 in the UK to have the windows refitted myself. I’m very pleased with the boat and is a real pity my experience of the windows hampered a otherwise good purchase. The company EdgeWater Marine in the UK ended up closing down the company so we are on our own from here.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Have to laugh at this statement "as the market for big boats had fallen down ". Of course it has they haven't advertised or prompted Hunter Sailboats for years! Marlow was the worst thing that could have happened to Hunter! RIP!

Aug 8, 2021
31 Marlow Hinter 31 Deale
I own a 2017 MH 31 i bought new from EdgeWater Marine in the UK. I experienced problems with leaking windows as several other MH owners in the UK. We tried on numerous occasions to get a response back from the Marlow Hunter office and got little response from them to help. I happened to be on a business visit in Florida in 2019 and decided to do a cold call on them in Alachua. The site was up for sale and looked very much closed down. The reception door was open but no one was there I shouted and was met by Brett Leary. He explained that they are not doing any big boat builds and were just completing a build on a small dingy type sailboat. He said the yard was up for sale as the market for big boats had fallen down. I asked about my leaking windows and he was very helpful indeed and provided me with a guide and instructions on how to fit the windows he gave me a tour round the factory where there were two people working but no boat work was being carried out. Only two cars in the car park. I ended up paying £2000 in the UK to have the windows refitted myself. I’m very pleased with the boat and is a real pity my experience of the windows hampered a otherwise good purchase. The company EdgeWater Marine in the UK ended up closing down the company so we are on our own from here.

Dec 17, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Jacksonville
I was looking for a new sailboat, 40' ish earlier this year. I had clicked on the link for the 40' brochure on the MH website but never received it. I finally emailed them and found out what everyone else had been saying that they are "currently" not building bigger boats but that they had a 2018 42SS for sale that had never been commissioned. Since Beneteau and Jeanneau were built to order and I wanted something sooner I was happy to go take a look at the 2018. Turned out this was the boat built for David Marlow to take to boat shows (there are pictures of it in another thread) and I had the great pleasure of meeting Mr. Marlow. We had a nice conversation as he showed me the yacht and all of the engineering that went into it. I was completely impressed with the yacht and Mr. Marlow. I explained what my goal was, which is to solo sail the Caribbean as my had recently passed away and was now free to do the dream. I asked to have a genset installed and he agreed and offered at no extra cost so the deal was made. I had a few issues I needed to take care of (properties and estate to settle) before I would be able to complete the purchase and he was sympathetic and I left him with a check to hold the boat for me. Issue after issue arose and long story short is I will be the proud owner in just a few more days. David Marlow has been extremely gracious and helpful throughout this process and I can not say enough good things about him.

As for Marlow-Hunter they are busy building "Boutique" boats and I may be waiting a little longer for familiarization due to the person that delivers Marlow-Hunter sailboats is completely booked with deliveries.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
3DPhoto, congratulations on your purchase of the MH 42SS. My wife and I made a trip to Snead Island, FL to meet with David Marlow and see the red hull #1 MH 42SS in Jan 2017. We preferred the interior layout of the MH 40 and eventually ended up negotiating a deal with David to have a MH 40 built for us. David worked personally with us choosing options and making several custom modifications to the boat, both during contract negotiations and during construction. He was a pleasure to work with and a persuasive salesman. We took delivery of the boat at our marina in Maryland in June 2018. The commissioning was done by two guys, Billy and Joe, who I met in Alachua while the boat was being built. Billy is a professional sailor that did the rigging and arch assembly working with our marina boat yard staff and Joe did the commissioning for all the electronics, mechanical systems and plumbing, which he was in charge of during construction. They did a great job rigging and commissioning the boat and taking us out sailing for several hours to help familiarize us with the systems and handling. While there were build and equipment issues we experienced with the boat, all have been resolved and we have enjoyed the boat for 4 sailing season now.

I have a question for you, did they ever put an accessible trash bin in the 42SS galley? My wife had a long discussion with David while he was showing us the boat. David called me the next day and said that he had gone to several kitchen supply stores that morning to find a trash can he could install in the galley for us.

TN

Sep 23, 2004
Catalina 350 Seattle, WA
It's a pity Marlow Hunter have stepped back from the bigger boats. The wait for a new Catalina 425 right now is over a year, and I've seen on some other forums that if you want a new Jeanneau right now, they are booking for 2023 build slots. The only new boats available right now are spec boats that brokers ordered a year ago. There is more demand than the manufacturers can keep up with.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
I know that as a Catalina owner for the past 13 years, I'm not supposed to think about crossing over. However, I sold my C28 to upsize and found the market moving more quickly than I was ready for. I'm currently boatless and trying to be open-minded, and after seeing this I'm left wondering. You may have been ready for the factory closure news, but does this change the way you feel about the ownership experience? Did you enjoy strong Hunter factory support that you no longer feel will be there? Would this make you think twice before buying a used Hunter or M-H today? Are there years you would avoid?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I know that as a Catalina owner for the past 13 years, I'm not supposed to think about crossing over. However, I sold my C28 to upsize and found the market moving more quickly than I was ready for. I'm currently boatless and trying to be open-minded, and after seeing this I'm left wondering. You may have been ready for the factory closure news, but does this change the way you feel about the ownership experience? Did you enjoy strong Hunter factory support that you no longer feel will be there? Would this make you think twice before buying a used Hunter or M-H today? Are there years you would avoid?
We purchased The boat new but it’s now 14 years old. As far as support for older boats the folks here at the SBO store have provided all the support I’ve needed. They’ve had every part I’ve needed or if they haven’t had it it stock they can frequently get if tor you.
To add to that some of them worked for Hunter and are extremely knowledgeable about the boats.

Apr 22, 2022
Marlow Hunter MH 47 Southport, NC
Hello! We purchased a Marlow Hunter 47 at the beginning of 2022 and love it! We have sailed our entire lives on many different boats. The MH 47 is a unique design with tons of space below and is a well balanced sailer. With that said, we would love to connect with other MH 47 owners (or just MH owners) to share stories. And BTW, I had some dialog going late 2021 with the folks at Marlow Hunter / A&M Manufacturing. I was told a new owner was coming in and they hoped to get the big boats going again. Have not heard from them since.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
FWIW, the Style Craft site had a menu option showing the Hunter daysailors, but it looks like they were removed recently.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Hello! We purchased a Marlow Hunter 47 at the beginning of 2022 and love it! We have sailed our entire lives on many different boats. The MH 47 is a unique design with tons of space below and is a well balanced sailer. With that said, we would love to connect with other MH 47 owners (or just MH owners) to share stories. And BTW, I had some dialog going late 2021 with the folks at Marlow Hunter / A&M Manufacturing. I was told a new owner was coming in and they hoped to get the big boats going again. Have not heard from them since.
Given that you're one of the very rare owners of a very recent Marlow Hunter sailboat, perhaps consider posting an owner review to the Boat Info section? I know a lot of people would love to hear your impressions of the boat. I know I would!! If you've had any warranty issues it would be very interesting to hear how those went, and how they were handled.