Is a tiller tamer worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2010
Catalina 30 City Island
I've pretty much decided I'm going to get some sort of tiller pilot to help me sail short handed. My budget though has put this acquisition off till next year. I sail with my wife and young daughter, with my wife at the helm we make quite a few unintended tacks and jibes, often when I'm up at the mast or fore deck.

I've researched a tiller tamer and didn't hear a lot of great things. Is it worth 36$ as a stop gap measure to use thru November or should I just rig something from rope and possibly some home depot hardware?

Thanks for any input.
John Rolka

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yup, and save your $$ up for a real autopilot. Once you get one you'll wonder how you ever did without one, like microwaves, ATMs, credit cards, and the like.

WADR, you might consider finding a way to teach your wife to steer, whether you or a class for her.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I use bungee cords too if I am single handing. The Admiral steers a course fairly well, i just tell her to pick a point across the lake and aim the boat at it.

KMm

Aug 20, 2010
Had a tiller tamer and later an auto pilot. Save your money and get the AP. I would work on teaching the crew how to steer or as the others have said use bungee cords, but only a person can make a coarse change or an autopilot. Fair winds.

Feb 26, 2004
Pearson 365 Ketch Memphis, TN
I loved my Tiller Tamer ... and I couldn't figure a way to do the same thing for less money.
Leave it connected and it is just a twist of a knob to lock it in, another twist to release it. I used it all the time. Bungee cords are in the way in a small cockpit and are inconvenient to set and balance ... so you don't do it.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I picked up an 8 ft piece of 3/8 shock cord at Ace Hardware, tied a loop in each end and took 3 wraps around the tiller. The loops go over my aft genny cleats. The cord was buck something/ft.
I'm pinging on Santa to bring me a tiller pilot and I'm too tired to be bad so it might work out.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I picked up an 8 ft piece of 3/8 shock cord at Ace Hardware, tied a loop in each end and took 3 wraps around the tiller. The loops go over my aft genny cleats. The cord was buck something/ft.
I'm pinging on Santa to bring me a tiller pilot and I'm too tired to be bad so it might work out.
:stirthepot: hummmm maybe you need to take some knot tying class so ya dont get so tired ;)

regards

woody

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 NORTH POINT MARINA/WINTHROP HA IL
John, I bought a Tiller Tamer for my last tiller boat and it was worthless. Save your money and try one of the suggestions of the above respondents. Good luck and good sailing, Ron

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I have one on my P23 and it works great. In my case bungee cords would be in the way and a pain. I think it depends on the boat. A friend of mine added one and didn't have good luck with it, mostly because it didn't fit his boat well. The angles of the lines were bad because of were he had to mount the cleats. It's only $36, and if you don't like it, I've seen used ones sell for almost the same.

JerryA

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
I use a length of line tied to my port pushpit upright with a bowline in the end of it. This line stays attached all the time. It goes about 3/4 of the way across the cockpit. I can center the tiller and wrap it a few times around then bungee through the bowline to the starboard pushpit upright. Works great to secure the tiller when leaving for the day and I have used it many times as an impromptu tiller tamer. It works well for that too.

image-3437703973.jpg

Up close

image-4027969314.jpg

Bungee secured

cwkemp

Feb 17, 2010
Catalina 22 Lakes George, Sacandaga, Saratoga, Champlain
Tried bungies, but they won't hold course in even a small gust on my boat. I devised a tiller tamer from rope and leftover hardware and although it's not a self steering device, it's invaluable for single-handing. I'd say it's worth the money until you can get something better. I've read of tiller to boom systems that seem viable for holding a course to the wind using just tackle but too complicated for smaller lake sailing.
Clint

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I agree, save your money it will likely not hold course any better than your wife. Practice getting the boat in balance by trimming the sails and it may hold course longer than any tiller lock.

Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
It wouldn't be worth it for our boat

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get some sort of tiller pilot to help me sail short handed. My budget though has put this acquisition off till next year. I sail with my wife and young daughter, with my wife at the helm we make quite a few unintended tacks and jibes, often when I'm up at the mast or fore deck.

I've researched a tiller tamer and didn't hear a lot of great things. Is it worth 36$ as a stop gap measure to use thru November or should I just rig something from rope and possibly some home depot hardware?

Thanks for any input.
John Rolka
The only time I ever tie off my tiller is when we're under power and have a long'ish straight haul. Under power, our boat has a fair tendency to turn to starboard so I set my course, take the port-side end of my traveller control line and put a clove hitch on the tiller. The tiller pressure keeps the line taut and I can adjust the course with small amounts of pressure to port or starboard. Works like a charm. This summer we motored for en entire day and this arrangement saved the day and my mind!

When we're under sail, I can do the same thing but the resulting course is not as steady because there is less tiller pressure. But mostly I hand steer when sailing because I like to sail :)

Igetit

May 26, 2011
Hunter 270 Lake Monroe, Indiana
I have no complaints about my tiller tamer, but I'm sailing an inland reservoir.
Out of curiosity, what does a good autopilot cost, and how much space does it consume in the cockpit? Doesn't it occupy at least one "seat" or so? And how many new holes, if any, would one have to drill in the boat?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Tiller Tamer Expectations

I think the Tiller Tamer is great as long as you realize it is definitely not an auto pilot, it is really meant to be just a helping hand for short durations, in the right conditions and proper sail trim it can go quite a bit longer, $26.86 on this site:

http://shop.SailboatOwners.com/prod.php?2944

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I've used a Tiller Tamer on two different boats - O'Day 19 and Capri 22. I like using it very much when I need to keep the tiller steady if single handling or need to quickly go forward. I also use it to dampen the tiller movement when overcompensating in lighter winds.

It is not an autopilot. It is mostly set to "loose" or disconnected from the clam cleats.

The angle of the line makes a difference. The manual specifies 45° but I liked it set at a broader angle, going more direct between the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.